Is it offensive to removes ugly moles and blemishes on the face of the wedding party?

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am editing photos from a wedding I shot on saturday and the maid of honor has these ugly moles and blemishes on her face that I can cover up, but I don't want them to be offended. What are some rules to go by when editing stuff like that?

EDIT: These are two original unedited jpegs

$DSC_9305.jpg$DSC_0177.jpg

Last edited:
depends on what the maid of honor wants. did you ask her?
also depends on how bad they really are.
post some finished photos and let us take a look.

I would ask her; some people like that sort of thing, and others take it as an insult. Are they something you can reduce a bit, that is make them look a little less unpleasant without actually removing?

I'd probably fix blemishes as they are "temporary" but moles are permanent.. so unless she has asked you to remove, I'd leave them.

"would you like me to keep the beauty mark, or not?"

geez people. it's called communication.

I'm in agreement with frommrstomommy. If it is a temporary blemish, I feel sure she would appreciate the effort. However, freckles, moles, scars and the like are part of their identity whether they wish it or not. Those can be de-emphasized ever-so-slightly, be to eliminate would be dead wrong IMO.

or--- what I have done is fix the temporary blemishes, duplicate the final image to a new layer, remove the moles on the duplicate, then decrease the opacity so the moles are less obvious.

My goal is to have the person think 'Cool, that doesn't show so bad'

Beauty-Marks-on-Facellll.jpg~original

Last edited:
I agree. Get rid of blemishes.

or--- what I have done is fix the temporary blemishes, duplicate the final image to a new layer, remove the moles on the duplicate, then decrease the opacity so the moles are less obvious.

This or do a high pass blur technique.

She knows she has them and is probably self conscious about them so removing them would just bring more attention to the fact.

I don't remove scars, moles or anything that is there to stay. I do remove pimples and other scratches. If it is the bride then I will ask her all of the above, and edit to her liking. I usually already know because I have done the engagement session by then.

People are who they are... do you remove excess waistlines from every heavy person you shoot? Can't wait to see your wedding images....

It has been said but you remove temporary blemishes, not permanent body marks/moles/scars. When in doubt just ask.

I would ask her; some people like that sort of thing, and others take it as an insult. Are they something you can reduce a bit, that is make them look a little less unpleasant without actually removing?

And a number of people would be embarrassed by being asked, definitely NOT a classy or professional approach.

It has been said but you remove temporary blemishes, not permanent body marks/moles/scars. When in doubt just ask.

Don't ask. When in doubt, de-emphasize the permanent body marks so that they do NOT distract from the eyes which are the important part of a portrait.

Any decent photographer should be able to set up a shot that flatters the subject and de-emphasizes permanent or temporary blemishes. He/she should also be able to further de-emphasize problems in post and further flatter the subject.

If you have to ask, then you are in the wrong business.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back