Is it okay to leave camera in these temperatures?

WeatherMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am going to Florida and the highs will be 78°F-85°F each day with sunshine where I'm going. Will it be okay to leave my camera in the locked up car in the black camera backpack I have or will my camera get too hot? I don't want to damage the body and/or lens of my Canon 60D. Thanks! :)

EDIT: My camera would be in the car for hours at a time. Around 8-12 hours a day for a week while I'm at Disney World until I get into my condo.

Welcome to the forum.

That's not really that hot....I'm sure people leave their cameras in vehicles in 100°F+ temps all the time.
So your 85°F should be fine. The camera bag should offer some insulation...I'd be more concerned if the gear was in direct sunlight.

Also, it would be best to keep your gear/bag out of site. A camera bag is a target for potential thieves.

Another concern may be if you have your camera inside a cool, air-conditioned space, and then you walk out into a hot humid climate. That will cause condensation to form on all the cool surfaces. You don't want condensation on or inside your camera & lenses etc., so if you do move from cool to warm, keep the camera in the bag until it has had a chance to warm up.

If the ambient temperature is 85 and it's sunny, it could be significantly hotter inside the car, however, I've worked with my gear all over the Middle East in tempertatures which reached 140+ without problem. As Mike mentioned, be careful and let your gear acclimatize when going from hot to cold or vice versa.

Thank you, both of you. I appreciate the info. I'll be sure to hide the bag leaving it in the car; good suggestion too.

Most reactions

Back