Is it possible to scan a negative and get a file I can print from all the time?

I've been scanning all my old negs and slides over the past few years, somewhere over 10,000 by now. I stared off using a Plustek scanner that cost around $300, they are still around that price, I had great results with it, I am now using an old Nikon Coolscan V, it works pretty well, was way more expensive and the scans look about the same, I like the digital ice, helps cut down on having to spend a lot of time cleaning up the dust and scratches. I scan everything at 4800dpi, as tiff's and then crop and re-size it, save it as a jpeg.

Sorry to come late to this party, but I just found this forum. I'm in the Bay Area and scan professionally, using an Aztek Premier, a top-off-the-line, 8,000 ppi drum scanner for those of you that are unfamiliar.... All excellent scanner operators will agree that the main difference in scanning at the top level is the operator. It should be someone that understands what you are looking for photographically and targets your scan for your aesthetic. There are many fine scanner operators out there, I wouldn't just send my film to a "lab" to be scanned. They just put it on the drum and let it go. Scanning is much more of an art.

Lenny
[email protected]
EigerStudios.com
Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Find a lab that uses the Noritzu 1800 series scanners. By far the best film scanner I have ever used. Other than that I recommend the Epson V700 or the Nikon Coolscan 9000.

Find a lab that uses the Noritzu 1800 series scanners. By far the best film scanner I have ever used. Other than that I recommend the Epson V700 or the Nikon Coolscan 9000.

I sincerely don't mean to give you a hard time. However, the OP was asking for a scan that would get everything that the film has to offer. A Lab is a less-than-optimal choice. None of the scanner options you mention will supply the kind of quality that a drum scanner will, altho' the Nikon will come closest of your choices. Drum scanners are not only significantly sharper, but much more sensitive than CCD scanners. PMT's can sense a few photons bouncing around in the dark chamber.

Further, most high-end scanner operators will make sure that the information in your image is never clipped, and the best will speak to you directly and tune the image specifically to what you are trying to accomplish aesthetically.

Lenny

EigerStudios.com
[email protected] 707-763-5922 PST time zone

I sincerely don't mean to give you a hard time. However, the OP was asking for a scan that would get everything that the film has to offer. A Lab is a less-than-optimal choice. None of the scanner options you mention will supply the kind of quality that a drum scanner will, altho' the Nikon will come closest of your choices. Drum scanners are not only significantly sharper, but much more sensitive than CCD scanners. PMT's can sense a few photons bouncing around in the dark chamber.

Further, most high-end scanner operators will make sure that the information in your image is never clipped, and the best will speak to you directly and tune the image specifically to what you are trying to accomplish aesthetically.

Lenny

EigerStudios.com
[email protected] 707-763-5922 PST time zone

No problem....but it depends on the lab.....I use the Noritzu 1800 at the lab I work at and scan 35mm negs to 80mb Tiffs. I've printed 30x40's that look stunning from those scans. But yes......drum scan (if you can afford it) is the way to go.

Thank's for all the reply's guys! I just have one photo people seem to want - and don't wanna compromise the negative too much in transport. I trust the lab more than me, but if I had a file I could hustle harder. Great discussion on scanning here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back