Is it really worth $60 bucks?

maulrat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
About 3 weeks ago, I bought my 1st dslr; a used XTi body. For a lens, I purchased a new Canon EF 50mm f1.8. My question is, should I put down $60 and buy the kit lens that came with the camera. I believe it is the Canon 18-55mm non IS. I figure at short ranges, IS might not make a huge difference. I've seen these around craigslist for about $60. I am really needing a more wide angled lens but can't yet afford the Sigma 10-20. What do you think; is it worth the $60? Thanks for your advice.

sure, it's worth 60 bucks. it's really not that bad of a lens (though you should be able to get it say on ebay or whatever for 45-50). It's not great, but it's really ok, and if you need the range and don't have the money to splurge on say a tamron 17-50 or sigma 18-50ish 2.8 range then it's not bad.

Yes, certainly worth $60. It's not actually as bad as people make it out to be. The problem is that it feels really cheap. Optically, it's not too bad, especially at around F8-F16

I just found a guy selling the canon 18-55 for $35. I'll probably pick it up today if he still has it. =)

Doh! The lens sold 10min after the dude posted it this morning =(

Yes, it's worth it :) You'll like the zoom option and it's not all that bad. Like another poster mentioned, it does feel cheap but it's not that bad. I just find that I need to "sharpen" my images just slightly more but not by much. :)

I agree. Even though the lens has been bashed a little by critics, it's still a very handy lens to have. If it's like its Nikon counterpart (sorry, I don't really do Canon), it also doubles up as a great close-up lens. Certainly worth £30.

Doh! The lens sold 10min after the dude posted it this morning =(

Yeah lenses go quick on craigslist, just check 2 times a day for a week, and another one will come up. Go ahead and grab one, If you end up upgrading in the future you can probably resell it for about what you payed.

Most reactions

Back