Is it still worth it?

Ed8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone

I have a pretty bad Cell Phone camera that I'm using to take pictures. Is it still worth it to buy a low end Point and Shoot(Canon ELPH 115 or) anymore? If so, do you have any recommendations for close to 100 Canadian Dollar cameras(best buy canada only, got lots of gift cards). I know the camera doesn't make the pictures but I would like something better.

Thank you everyone.

There are about 14000 models of inexpensive point and shoot cameras and the differences between them is negligible.

Get one that's the color you like and take pictures.

There are about 14000 models of inexpensive point and shoot cameras and the differences between them is negligible.

Get one that's the color you like and take pictures.

Okay Thank you:) Sounds simple enough.

Cell phone cameras have come along ways and capable of producing some ok photos but I think in the long run you will be happier with a Point & Shoot camera. As Lew has said, they have a wide selection in models and they all seem to work about the same. I used a Sony Cybershot for a number of years before switching to a DSLR.

Okay. Thank you for your opinion too Tailgunner.

I dont like cell phone cameras and I dont like very cheap P&S cameras.
Wait a month or two and get the new Samsung Galaxy S5, I read it will come with 16MP, might as well get it, I dont expect a much better results from a very cheap P&S.
Probably will cost you about 100$-150$ with a 3 years contract.
I know I will get it (not for the camera capabilities).

If you like taking pictures, id invest in a camera. Any chance you can trade someone your gift cards for cash and look for a lightly used entry dslr?

If you like taking pictures, id invest in a camera. Any chance you can trade someone your gift cards for cash and look for a lightly used entry dslr?
That would cost still at least $100 of real money and gift cards. :(
On a pretty tight budget. I decided to get a camera because of all my Gift Cards. Unless there is a really good deal...

Last edited:
I use/take a Nikon AW100 with me when I go out camping, Hiking, shooting and hikes with the dogs. I find it worth it, the rest of the time the iphone does just fine

I use/take a Nikon AW100 with me when I go out camping, Hiking, shooting and hikes with the dogs. I find it worth it, the rest of the time the iphone does just fine
The IPhone Camera is actually pretty good. Mine isn't

I decided to get a camera because of all my Gift Cards.

Good move. If there is any value remaining on the gift cards, you might consider rechargeable batteries and charger. My "point&shoot" uses batteries fast.

BestBuy has a LOT of cameras...like The_Traveler said, pick one, and get to shooting it. If you need to do "research", GO to BestBuy and look at what is in your price range. Pick out two or three models you like, come home, look em up on-line, and read a bit, then go back and drop some gift card money on your new camera!

BestBuy has a LOT of cameras...like The_Traveler said, pick one, and get to shooting it. If you need to do "research", GO to BestBuy and look at what is in your price range. Pick out two or three models you like, come home, look em up on-line, and read a bit, then go back and drop some gift card money on your new camera!
Already did lots of "research". Looked through models on Bestbuy online in my price range and then read reviews. That's how I chose the Elph 115 IS.

I sometimes take a P&S along somewhere that it won't be practical to take an SLR and the pictures usually turn out pretty well. I don't use one a lot but it sometimes has come in handy.

What P&S do you use?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back