Is it true that you shouldnt use polarizing and grad filters on wide angle lenses?

BenjaminJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ive heard this somewhere. I mostly use a wide angle lens and considering getting filters for it, but wanted to double check to see they are actually a bad thing when using wide angle lenses.

The issue is usually vignetting... that is why some people feel that using filters on WA's / UWA's is not a good idea. But for creative effects, you have to use filters sometimes. Either get larger than objective filters, or do some cropping.. no big deal!

oh.. and buy quality filters.. cheap ones are JUNK!

Outside of CPLs I like to use the Lee/Cokin style filters.

There's also a banding issue which can occur when using polarizers on wide-angle lenses, resulting in uneven polarization. Example.

There's also a banding issue which can occur when using polarizers on wide-angle lenses, resulting in uneven polarization. Example.

The link you posted doesn't seem to work. I get an error page when I click it. I'd like to see it though.

Odd, sorry, it's working for me. Do a Google image search of "circular polarizer banding" - you will see lots come up.

The link you posted doesn't seem to work. I get an error page when I click it. I'd like to see it though.

That happens to me with some images... works in IE, but not Firefox! Test in another browser?? Let me know results....

Ok.. different issue...

$john.JPG

Weird, sorry about that. Try this one.

Ken Rockwell? how we know it wasn't just his technique that cause that blob? I question your source! lol! :greenpbl: :er:

Using a circular polarzer on a wide angle lens is usually only a problem if you're trying to capture big skies, as the filter will only affect part of the sky. They work great in other ways, such as shooting a water fall or a scene with lots of vegetation. Grads work great with wide angle lenses, in fact, they can be a necessity to level out the lighting variations that are usually found in a grand sunset/sunrise/landscape type scene.

The problem with CPLs on UWAs is mostly when you have a lot of sky. The light from the sky is not evenly polarized. Adding a CPL merely compounds the problem.

10mm without a CPL:

NoFilter.jpg

10mm with a CPL:

WithFilter.jpg

Most reactions

Back