Is kit lens useless?

I never said I didn't know how to take pictures with it, I get good photos just no where near the quality I get with my 55-200 zoom lens. Given that, would it be worth it to back up a few steps and shoot with the zoom lens or does the kit lens have any benefit over the zoom lens?

Sorry! I was talking about the 18-55mm lens, thought that was a standard kit lens.

Not every package deal includes the same lens. A typical deal often includes that lens simply because it covers a reasonable range of focal lengths, and being somewhat cheaper than faster glass, retailers will bundle it (or others) with a body so people can go out and start taking pictures.

Just so you know, the 18-55mm is also a ZOOM.

If you think the photos taken with the 18-55 are "crap", perhaps you should take it up with the retailer. Could be something wrong with it.

These were all shot with the 18-55mm on an (ancient by today's standards) Canon 20D:

T_Falls_1247b.jpg

Pittsburgh_Dusk.jpg

Bay_Bridge_Dusk_HDR_0515.jpg

Pigeon_Point_2396.jpg

Keep working with it. It's a very capable lens.

these photos just made me realize that Im no where near the capacity of my kit lens. Its so easy to blame the lens but these are amazing! back to the drawing board!!

these photos just made me realize that Im no where near the capacity of my kit lens. Its so easy to blame the lens but these are amazing! back to the drawing board!!
Thank you kindly! I just realized the other day that I shot this one with the 18-55 as well, but on the 40D, rather than the 20D:

Hot_Mac_1416.jpg

They are terrible, the streets are littered with remnants of shattered kits lenses. People throw them from speeding cars in pure disgust.

FYI, the kit lenses these days are better then the high end lens from back in the day.

Kit lenses are great if you don't need fact auto focus, a very shallow depth of field or low light capabilities. If none of those apply to you then you are good to go. Actually the set up you have is perfect for a new photographer in that you have a very wide range to shoot with and learn what you really like. That way you can make informed decisions about your needs when you decide to upgrade.

These were all shot with the 18-55mm on an (ancient by today's standards) Canon 20D:

T_Falls_1247b.jpg

Pittsburgh_Dusk.jpg

Bay_Bridge_Dusk_HDR_0515.jpg

Pigeon_Point_2396.jpg

Keep working with it. It's a very capable lens.

Truly amazing. I am glad I decided not to buy more lenses before learning a lot more about them. By the way, I got the 18-135mm kit lens with my Canon EOS 550D camera. I think I feel more comfortable with a kit lens with a bigger focal range so that I don't have to buy a medium-to-telephoto zoom lens in the near future.

Is the 18-135mm kit a good choice for a kit lens? Or is the 18-55mm better? So far, I've not found anything wrong with my photos, just that I haven't had any opportunity to take it out for real landscape scenery.

They are terrible, the streets are littered with remnants of shattered kits lenses. People throw them from speeding cars in pure disgust.

FYI, the kit lenses these days are better then the high end lens from back in the day.

While I 99% agree lol, if I had to choose between my 18-55 kit lens or my helios44, (which I believe was the zenit kit lens a long time ago), I would go red banner all the way. Although I vaguely remember reading they were copies of a German lens now I think of it...? Anyway, I have the 18-55 mk1 without IS and its awful. Worse than awful, it might be broken its so bad. It was the kit lens with the XTi.

Is the 18-135mm kit a good choice for a kit lens? Or is the 18-55mm better? So far, I've not found anything wrong with my photos, just that I haven't had any opportunity to take it out for real landscape scenery.

I had great results with the EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS on my 30D. I found it more than sufficient on the wide end and the need beyond 135mm was rare...even on vacation out west! Once I learned that low-light (eg, indoors) required an external flash, I was good to go!

I had great results with the EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS on my 30D. I found it more than sufficient on the wide end and the need beyond 135mm was rare...even on vacation out west! Once I learned that low-light (eg, indoors) required an external flash, I was good to go!

Thanks. I plan to keep one lens for a long time, till I decide I am really dedicated enough to need another.

I love my kit lens, out of all my lens' it is my go to lens when I am unsure. I have a few 50mm primes, a zoom lens etc, but when you need them all together with a wide angle, there you go! There are no limits with a kit lens, 18mm, wide, 28-50mm, use as a standard, 55mm nice little telephoto. Get all the effects you need!
Yes you compromise a little on quality, but it is worth it for the versatility!

Liverpool Museum by Raven Photography by Jenna Goodwin, on Flickr

I've read on some online resources that the kit lens is useless for bokeh or background blur. I don't know whether the 18-55mm kit lens can do it, but I did get a reasonable "bokeh" with my 18-135mm kit lens, but I could achieve it only by isolating the subject a bit more and coming quite close. My first "bokeh" with the EOS 550D and the 18-135 kit lens: mind you, I did a bit of PP and also cropped a bit, since the flower of mustard is very small.

Little flower of Mustard plant by harishankar, on Flickr

I am sure lot of new comers to DSLRs are attracted by bokehs that they cannot produce with a regular P & S. But actually background blur is possible with some P & S, not just as much though: here's an example with my fujifilm S1500 which is a 12x superzoom P & S. This one was SOOC but I used the preset macro (flowers) mode on the camera. Not quite "bokeh" but still enough blur to isolate the subject.

In the flower garden near Munnar by harishankar, on Flickr

Mind you, I haven't really explored the kit lens capabilities fully yet. But for my stage, I am very happy with it... then again, I am easily satisfied. I don't do a pixel to pixel analysis of image quality etc.

My biggest worry was that a 18-55mm would not have the zoom range for my full requirement and I didn't want to buy another lens or a kit with the medium-telephoto zoom lens.

Thank you, I just didn't know, the quality of photo didn't seem as good and seems harder to get that blurred background. What would be a good lens for me to pick up next? I havnt found my niche in photography yet but I would like to pick up a new lens. What's the difference between the 18-55 and a fixed focal 50mm?

Read up on Depth of Field.
It's hard to compare a 18-55mm zoom lens to a 50mm prime. Obviously the latter has only one focal length so you'll be zooming "with your feet". Aside from that a 50 will be much faster than a zoom/kit lens. This means that it will allow for the aperture to open up more which translates to better low light performance.
Forgive me for being blunt, but from your posts, it seems like you would benefit more from learning the basics instead of buying another lens at this point.
When the time comes, you'll know exactly what lens to buy next.

Or do what I did, buy some old M42 lens, they are £10-15 and fully manual, you can get 50mm primes for pennies. Used fully manual you will learn to appreciate auto and learn what kind of lens you want!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back