Is photography a cruel medium?

jadin said:
I think the reason it's described as "taking" and not "making" is that you aren't "creating" anything. You are simply interpretting something that was already created or aka made. That make sense?

i disagree with the comment that photography isn't a process of making.
surely, tourists only use cameras to "record the moment" (it's the belief a snapshot, regardless of photographic quality, has an inherent and absolute connection to the event), but to others, photography as you say is an "interpretation". i believe an interpretation is an action of making.
you take something, consider it in your consious mind, and you transfer it into a new format which can be used for other things. the solidification in the new format is the making.

i never know how to end a writing. hope i wasn't harsh :shock: just want to share what i've learned.

I agree with StvShoop, and this holds especially true for those who develop their own prints in a darkroom.

Nevertheless, Jadin's explanation may well be why it is dubbed taking and not making. It's just not necessarily an accurate depiction to all of us.

I think its safe to say, humans are lazy.
We could make up brand new words for photography, but why bother when we can use ordinary words?

Does anyone believe taking a picture of someone is like stealing their souls?

Cameras don't hurt people.... pictures, in themselves, don't hurt people.... Guns and bullets don't hurt people... on their own. Like any tool, it takes a person to use it. Thus its the person causing harm, not the equipment. Papparazzi take pictures of celebrities in compromising situations. But the pictures don't mean anything until the photographer shows it/sells it to someone.

Anything can be good or evil depending on who uses it.

Hi Wyvern, and welcome to the forum. :D When I watched the movie "1 Hr Photo" the character played by Robin Williams is the one who noted: "The word "snapshot" was actually a hunting term." I'd never thought about it before. So, somehow, the language used to describe and discuss this medium did evolve in a strange way.

But any medium can be perceived as "cruel" if the artist wants it to be. Anyone who can paint or draw can come up with hideous caricatures of people or events, or paint them in an unflattering light.

I'm with ksmattfish: photography hurts me in the wallet and it really smarts!!! :wink:

I took my camera with me when we were driving through the city, tried taking portraits from out the window while the car was moving. I have one of those cameras that take the lightmeter reading/focus when you press the shutter release half way down, and it did take some courage to push the button all the way in. As if I was a sniper and had the target in my sights :| In fact I missed a couple of pretty decent shots because I actually chickened out while knowing I will not hurt anyone in any way. Makes you think...

not sure i get what you mean...
did you have too much respect for their privacy or something,
or did you fear people's retaliation?

not sure. Probably both, although more of the latter. I really dont like pictures of myself taken, so I probably felt they would experience something similar to what I go trhough when a camera is pointed at me.

But your looking for a good picture...so your taking them how you think they look good.

But still ive often wonderd, is it right to take people? unless they know and say ok.

I remember driving through chicago and saw this older couple sitting peacefully on a busstop bench. I think it would've been the shot of my life, but we were driving and I assumed had we gone back for it, the scene would've changed. WHile I think getting permission is always best, I think it's something left for _after_ the shot has been taken. Regardless of privacy issues, I can't stand asking for permission only to have them look at the camera and pose. Ruining the shot I had in mind. Of course you do this at your own risk. ;)

Artemis
A good picture will not necceserily portray the subject in a good way/in a way they want themselves portrayed in.

jadin
Couldnt agree more. This is the big challenge - if you take picture without asking, you risk insulting ppl, if you ask prior to taking a picture, you in most cases RUIN THE SHOT COMPLETELY. On the other hand, when you look at the subject through the viewfinder, hows that different from looking at it with your eyes? Retaliating to having pictures of yourself taken seems like retaliating to someone looking at you.

Sash[DSL said:
] This is the big challenge - if you take picture without asking, you risk insulting ppl, if you ask prior to taking a picture, you in most cases RUIN THE SHOT COMPLETELY. On the other hand, when you look at the subject through the viewfinder, hows that different from looking at it with your eyes? Retaliating to having pictures of yourself taken seems like retaliating to someone looking at you.

Although I have yet to have anyone complain about me taking a pic of them without permission, you could always lie to them if they complain, saying that you only pressed your DOF preview and not the shutter release...

I do agree with you though, I don't bother asking for permission because it's pointless... the moment is lost.

Sash[DSL said:
]when you look at the subject through the viewfinder, hows that different from looking at it with your eyes? Retaliating to having pictures of yourself taken seems like retaliating to someone looking at you.

yep, i agree.
but people don't like to turn their head and find someone sitting there staring at them... if they don't have the photo, how do they know someone isn't staring at their image?

i really don't think there's a correct answer or a correct way of doing things in this case which leaves everybody satisfied. i say take the photo without asking, then ask if it's ok, and if not... RUN! :roll:

StvShoop
True. As for me I usually just say I wont print this picture, it calms most ppl down enough.

the_peel
Yea right, 9.5/10 wont know what DOF is. Which is probably a good thing actually ;)

Most reactions

Back