Is Photography your Hobby, Passion or Profession.

I'd mostly disagree with this. It depends on your definition of photography. If you limit the field yes, but it's a big world out there. Last time I checked there are still many job opportunities for photographers in forensics, medical and product. Newspapers, magazines and online media still hire photographers. I see ads every so often for school/sports photographers. Depending on the field and "other" supporting experience they pay anywhere from 30 to over 100k a year.

Photography is no different than other fields of employment, not everyone can be a famous fashion photographer, but that doesnt mean you can't get paid as a photographer.
I applied for one of those photographer position once. Well, OK, it was an Evidence Technician position but I would have had to photograph the crime scenes I was sent on.

I didn't get it.

applied for one of those photographer position once. Well, OK, it was an Evidence Technician position but I would have had to photograph the crime scenes I was sent on.

I didn't get it.
Back in the early 70's I did some legal work to supplement my income. The legal work paid well, especially the medical malpractice cases. Also in our county, the sheriff dept didn't have the budget for a full time photographer so they used a few of us scattered around the county to cover for them on the high profile cases. Those didn't pay enough for the memories I still have of some of the more gruesome ones I got called out on.

Hobby, and passion
Photography allowed me to express myself
Digital allows me to push the limits of my kit and my ability
See my tag line
It's very true photography is a passion it also helps me to express myself, but I am only a beginner photographer but I fully enjoy doing it.

Gaura, It sounds like you have the incessant diddle's gene. It is both a curse and a blessing.

However, you never run out of things to do. :)

For me, a hobby since 1957, becoming more serious when I got my first enlarger in 1961. These days I'm sometimes asked if I'm a professional (I never have been) and I usually reply "No, no one could pay me enough to carry this around" - I use large format cameras!

I've done some professional work in the past and do a side job here and there but it's primarily a hobby since high school.

Expensive hobby that's kinda turned into a passion and who knows, maybe a profession. But right now, I take pictures for myself and the occasional event. But I've never been paid for my work. I do it because I enjoy it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back