Is pursuing freelance photography an ideal career choice?

Horizon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm 23, working a part-time bank teller job, and have no idea what I'm going to do with my life career wise. I recently visited relatives over in WA state, and my uncle over there is a freelance photographer, and has been doing Photography for a long time, and is able to make a stable living purely with his freelance work. (He mainly shoots weddings, etc). I didn't really grasp the value of freelancing before, but now I totally get it. He is able to be his own boss, work his own flexible hours, and basically no longer has to do the whole 9-5 slave work that I do. I would love to be able to have such an interesting career like that. I've dabbed in some minor photography of my own in the past and I really enjoyed it, but stopped cause I wasn't sure I was going anywhere with it.

So my uncle gave me some advice and basically told me that if I want to get into Photography, I should try to get my own equipment and start shooting and start honing my skills and establish a portfolio for myself. So that other people can admire my work, etc and get my name out there. So I'm just wondering, is pursuing freelance photography something that I could realistically make a living doing? My ideal yearly salary is 30k a year. That's it. Beyond that I don't need anything else. I would love to be able to shoot weddings and other memorable moments in peoples lives and doing something like that as a career seems really exciting. I'm really not sure what else I can do for a career but Photography really peaks my interest and I would love to get back into it. But I just want to be able to make a living doing it as well.

I realize it's a competitive field but if there is a chance I could do it, then maybe it's worth pursuing rather than remaining stagnant in my life not trying. Thanks guys. Look forward to your responses.

He is able to be his own boss, work his own flexible hours, and basically no longer has to do the whole 9-5 slave work that I do.

In reality every client is your boss, the hours your working are always night and weekends and you end up putting in more hours then the 9-5 job.

Im not saying don't go for it, I'm just trying to make things look a bit more realistic.

He is able to be his own boss, work his own flexible hours, and basically no longer has to do the whole 9-5 slave work that I do.

In reality every client is your boss, the hours your working are always night and weekends and you end up putting in more hours then the 9-5 job.

Im not saying don't go for it, I'm just trying to make things look a bit more realistic.
That and more

It takes time to be a good photographer, equipment is the easy part but being a good photography is calling for mentoring, research and lots of practice.
Takes years to hone such skills.

I realize it's a competitive field but if there is a chance I could do it, then maybe it's worth pursuing rather than remaining stagnant in my life not trying.
It's competitive, and your competition is doing it for free.

There is a chance, but you'll have to be very very good and present work that nobody else is doing.

Whether it's worth it to you or not will depend on how you value it.

This is a question that comes up regularly on here. Do a search of threads on this topic.

I'm not a pro, just a hobby but have also been around a while so take everything I'm about to say with a bag of rock-salt.

If you want to look into photography as a business then read below:

1. Keep your job. Photography is like any other skill. You'll suck at first until you learn the basics. Then you'll start to suck less (I haven't got that far yet). You'll need that job to pay the bills while you're learning.

2. Research (you've begun already here. Good job) both the type of photography that interests you and the gear that's available to you.

3. Aquire gear. This can lead to problems for some so try and get some advice on this ensuring you let the mentor/photographer (don't ask the guy selling you the gear) know what type of photography you wish to do.
3.5 Get out and shoot.

4. Learn everything you can to improve your skill. This is true of anyone that is great at what they do.
4.5 Get out and shoot.

5. Get a mentor in the area of photography that interests you. This can be done many ways. An online mentorship as this forum has. Second shooter for another Pro, etc.
5.5 Get out and shoot.

6. Learn the business/marketing side. Great to have amazing pics but if nobody know about them or if you can't pay the bills you'll still be working that 9-5 for life.
6.5 Get out and shoot.

Last but not least. Don't give up. We all have days that nothing turns out right. The more you try the better you will get and those days will become fewer and farther between.

Hope you find a way to make it work.

I would not call it an "Ideal" career choice. It is a lot more work than a bank teller job. No reason not to give it a try if it really interests you.

I can't add anything to what was already said except to say be careful how you estimate your financial needs. $30k/year sounds adequate at 23. You probably haven't experienced an unexpected home repair or medical bill, or your spouse's sudden unemployment, or retirement planning, etc. My guess is in 5 years you'll realize you grossly underestimated your "ideal" salary.

The people I know that do this often studied art, got interested in photography and built up a photography portfolio (they already had their art portfolio) and then used that to get into either a job or into a photography school. By that time you have put in at least four or five years so now you are not just jumping into being a freelance photographer.

My ideal yearly salary is 30k a year.
:icon_scratch:
I'd wager you could make that at McDonald's with a LOT less stress....
One could definitely make that at other jobs with less stress.

My concern with no more than 30K is the same by @Wildcats160. There's no room for error in there, and there's no retirement. Heck, after taxes, you're taking home $1.7K a month. I'm not sure what rent is like by the OP, but rent around me could easily take over half of that for a one bed/one bath apartment. And I don't live in a major metropolitan area. Now factor in car, gas, utilities, food, clothing, phone, internet, insurance, health, and other debt (if applicable) and you're struggling.

I would suggest doing a detailed business plan. This will tell you whether or not it is a viable business. Just because other's can't make it, doesn't mean the OP can not. I was often told not to do this or that because of whatever market challenges there were and in the end, those same people who discouraged me said I was lucky. Planning, hard work, goal setting are essential in any business venture whether you own it or not. As a salesman, I never wanted a salary working for people, I always wanted straight commission because it is highly negotiable and produces substantially more income if you're good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back