Is "Semi-Pro" body worth it?

BobSaget

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the market for a higher end crop sensor dslr Body Only. I've been noticing some of the rebels/lower end Nikons have pretty high mp counts that in some cases match the higher end bodies. Are these sensors similar/same? what more am I getting with bodies like d7000,k7/k5,60d? I realize faster fps, better build construction, water proofing, but my main interest is image quality.

My other option is to go with a used 5d 12.8mp full frame. Mainly interested in the full frames low light capabilities.

I"m a typical engineer minded man. Research for the next two months and purchase date late Feb. early March.

Dear Bob,

There are oodles of online reviews comparing exactly those issues.
Do a web search and you'll get all the substantive answers.
The short answer is that some higher end crop bodies have better sensors, some don't.
The newer crop bodies like the D7000 have remarkably good sensors and image quality and, tbh, their image quality is not the limiting factor for your picture quality.

A lot of it just has to do with features - not IQ. Canon's 7D has the same sensor as the T2i, and Nikon's D7000 has the same sensor as the D5100

-Ken Turner

If you're thinking of upgrading from a low-end body to a mid-end body of the same format without knowing what elements you're wanting and are currently missing, you may be disappointed. When I "upgraded" from my a350 to the a700 I knew exactly what I was wanting - a better viewfinder. If you know what features you wanted from a mid-end camera, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, it's probably just gear lust.

I dont know about canon, but "semi-pro" for nikon would be the D200, D300, D300s.
D7000 is still entry level despite having many "pro" features.

What i'm missing = sensor resolution, I have an old old old 6.1 mp. Ability to set w/b manually and fine tune. solid build quality (metal.)
I shoot predominantly in manual and bulb, use bracketing and mirror lock up. Don't care for facial recognition, in house hdr or simular but if it's on there i may use it from time to time.
high fps would be great for some of my action shots.
I like the d7000 and 60d, and have read arts. and comparisons. I want to make the jump up in price is worth it.

Cant go wrong with a D7000. Its nikons best crop frame camera at the moment. Only heard good things about it.

I dont know about canon, but "semi-pro" for nikon would be the D200, D300, D300s.
D7000 is still entry level despite having many "pro" features.

If the d7000 is entry level, what is the 5100? From what I've read about d7000, it's pretty capable for limited pro work.

Cant go wrong with a D7000. Its nikons best crop frame camera at the moment. Only heard good things about it.
d7000 is the front runner, but might be coming into some free cannon lenses. older prime and tele.
Thanks for the input so far guys

If the d7000 is entry level, what is the 5100? From what I've read about d7000, it's pretty capable for limited pro work.

The D5100 is entry level as well. The D7000 does just fine for a lot of pro work.
It does great for weddings and portraits.
Nikon doesnt consider any of their crop frame bodies "pro" bodies, But that doesn't mean plenty of pros dont use them anyway. Get a camera based on what your needs are. Not what someone lables a body as.

Trust me, I hate these labels. They're good for marketing but can be misleading.

Last edited:
Nikon has 2 tiers of entry-level DSLRs.

The low tier cameras - D3100, D3200, D5100 only have 1 command wheel, no top LCD, more menu diving, less sophistcated AF and metering, no CLS commander mode for off camera flash control, and no auto focus motor/screwdrive focus mechanism in the camera.

By February of 2013...there will PROBABLY be another Nikon APS-C body either on the market, or announced formally for immediate availability...the D7000 replacement/refresh, or the D300s replacement/refresh are expected/rumored in Feb 2013.

Thanks Derell, I was waiting for a comment from you. Maybe the d7000 will have a nice rebate in Feb.

Most reactions

Back