Is "Semi-Pro" body worth it?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by BobSaget, Dec 22, 2012.

1. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Nikon has 2 tiers of entry-level DSLRs.

The low tier cameras - D3100, D3200, D5100 only have 1 command wheel, no top LCD, more menu diving, less sophistcated AF and metering, no CLS commander mode for off camera flash control, and no auto focus motor/screwdrive focus mechanism in the camera.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    By February of 2013...there will PROBABLY be another Nikon APS-C body either on the market, or announced formally for immediate availability...the D7000 replacement/refresh, or the D300s replacement/refresh are expected/rumored in Feb 2013.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BobSaget

BobSaget TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Derell, I was waiting for a comment from you. Maybe the d7000 will have a nice rebate in Feb.

4. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It just had one for $300 off. :) I asked though and the camera store said the D7000 gets rebates often and would likely get another soon.

5. manicmike

manicmike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The D7000 seems to be favored over the D300 in most online reviews. It's the higher side enthusiasts camera.

6. pixmedic

pixmedic I am the Lord thy Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    True. But the D300s still has advantages over the D7000 that is appealing to some. Weather sealed, CF and SD card slots, 51 focus and 15 cross type points, higher FPS (more with grip) and the button configuration is more like the pro bodies.

7. Willieboy

Willieboy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A client of mine is a professional photographer and he uses the D7000 as his primary camera. He also has a Nikon backup but I don't remember the model number. He also recommends sticking with Nikkor lenses on a Nikon camera.

Good luck.

8. daarksun

daarksun TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 60D isn't considered a semi-pro camera, that starts with the 7D and 5DmkII models. But the image quality would be the tame from the T3i up tot he 7D. If you don't need the pro style features, focus systemsm, build quality, etc, then the 60D would be a great option for what you want to do. Can't go wrong with the Canon, Nikon, Pentax or even Sony model DSLRs. It just depends on what you like and what you want. As for Pro Work, You would think that means the higher end equipment, but there are professional wedding shooter making a living and using T4i's with primes lens and there work is incredible. The line between pro, semi-pro and pro is a fine line anymore. Good luck with whatever route you take. But udating to a newer body you definitely need.

9. CAlbertson

CAlbertson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So you have 6 mp and need more. First figure out how many more you need.
    6 mp means there are 3000 x 2000 pixels. If you need to double the resolution then you need 6000 x 4000 or a 24 mp sensor.

You say you think about this like an engineer, well then you know that resolution is proportional to the square root of the pixel count. What this mens is that going from 6mp to 12 mp gets you only 1.4 times the resolution which is hardy much at all, not even a 50% boost. You will need to go with a 24 mp sensor to see a big, noticeable, difference.

I just moved frm a 6 mp Nikon D50 to a larger "semi-pro" and what I gained was a much faster handling camera with buttons to control what was in a menu. I also got much larger raw format files. Nikon uses compressed raw in their consumer line and uncompressed in the others, this mmake the files 2X larger and then more pixels maes them even larger. But this is a good thing

10. bratkinson

bratkinson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    6.1MP what?

In short, since you're looking for a body-only upgrade, you will have to stay with the same brand to use your existing lens(es).

In my case, I had an 8mp Canon 30D and went to am 18mp 60D primarily to get more pixels. I also liked the flip-out screen like I had on two earlier Canon G-series point-and-shoots. The added pixels got me more cropping 'head room' that I needed. It also improved the IQ of the photos. ALthough the IQ improved going from 8 to 18 megapixels, I had a bigger IQ jump when I switched to Canon L lenses.

As for the 'need' for a metal body, the 60D has a plastic body. While some may 'pooh-pooh' plastic bodies, the savings in weight is noticable and so far, I've never had any problem with plastic body cameras. Even the plastic Canon A1100 we use at work gets handled by various co-workers and has been dropped a couple of times and the only visible damage on it is a cracked LCD.

11. BobSaget

BobSaget TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not understanding this. 6000 x 4000 has 4 times the area of 3000 x 2000. a 12mp sensor would be roughly 4200 x 2800 which would be 1.5x in height and 1.5x in width giving you twice the area of the 6mp sensor. Am I wrong in relating resolution to the area of the sensor's plane?

12. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

To the OP, the only way to tell is to handle the various models you are thinking about. Nikon's lower tier entry level have a much lower build quality feel than the upper tier D90 and D7000. I used a D5100 for about a year before I got my D7000. The image quality between the 2 is the same but the handling and focusing is much better with the D7000. The D7K also has the commander feature with the popup flash that is very useful if you want to do off camera TTL flash.