Is the D7100 worth the extra...?

jamiebonline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

So I owned a D7000 for a few years and liked it a lot. It's the camera I learned on too. I sold it though
:( Mistake number one. Now, a year later, I want it back. Good is the price has dropped again on a secondhand one. But I wonder if I should pay that bit extra for the 7100? I think it is at least 200 dollars more where I live.
Just in case it helps, I shoot portraits mostly. Not too much in low light, no sport. No tripod and rarely use a flash.

For your description of what you shoot I'd say no. That 200 would go a long way towards a good portrait lens, or lightroom or another accessory

Awesome puffins! And I agree that 7100 refub deal is awesome :cool-98:.

I've sold my d7000 too. I've always thought of replacing it. But I probably would get the d7100 just due to the 24 vs 16mp sensor, 51 point AF (though I'm rarely out of Single or d9) and I'm super curious on various situations with no anti-alias filter.

Though I don't like the Mode dial lock (as on my d600).

To me, it's a tossup unless there is something specific the d7100 will give you an advantage of for that extra $200.

That deal is good. The d7100 has advantages and at that price it's a bargain. I don't think there is a massive image quality difference but it does allow more cropping and the af is a bit more grown up

I've sold my d7000 too. I've always thought of replacing it. But I probably would get the d7100 just due to the 24 vs 16mp sensor, 51 point AF (though I'm rarely out of Single or d9) and I'm super curious on various situations with no anti-alias filter.

Though I don't like the Mode dial lock (as on my d600).

To me, it's a tossup unless there is something specific the d7100 will give you an advantage of for that extra $200.

That locking mode dial is so annoying. I've messed around a little on both. I've never used it in a real setting, and I know that I'd get used to it, but just playing around on it sure was aggravating.

OP let us know when you pull the trigger on the refurb hahahaha ;)

That locking mode dial is so annoying. I've messed around a little on both. I've never used it in a real setting, and I know that I'd get used to it, but just playing around on it sure was aggravating.

I don't change my mode much. I'm in Single, Continuous Low or High, or Bulb. The little button just requires too much pressure. I have to use two hands to change the mode versus just one hand if lightly sprung.

I don't change my mode much. I'm in Single, Continuous Low or High, or Bulb. The little button just requires too much pressure. I have to use two hands to change the mode versus just one hand if lightly sprung.

Yeah. I'd completely expect it to be no problem if I had it - I'm on CL and M 90% of the time, so they rarely need adjusting.

Owned he D7000 and D7100

The D7100 main 2 advantages
Better auto focus
Slightly better low light

Is the D7100 worh 200$ extra ?
I think it absolutly does, I wouldnt bother with the D7000 when I can get the D7100

I'd much rather the 24MP sensor over the 16MP.

Might as well buy a D5100 if the rest doesn't matter, and you'll have the same 16MP sensor as the D7000 without the padded price tag.

basically trade the "pro" dual slot, in-body motor for the articualing screen. but IIRC the image process, sensor, and AF module are identical between the D5100 and D7000 at almost half the cost.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back