Is the OLPF delete worth it?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are cameras without the OLPF or Anti-Aliasing filter really that worth it?

If I say yes I'll get badgered, same if I say no.

The truth is that while I can't directly compare a similar res body, the resolution of 24mp files from crop sensored nikons such as the d7100/d7200 at lower iso is nothing short of great. I did notice though (more so with the d7100) that noise crept in faster as the iso raised up, (when compared to say the 18mp canon 7d). I'd imagine that the slight blurring effect of the OLPF adds an effect similar to noise reduction while in place, as it does slightly smudge detail.

So for example, if I took 2 raw files, one from an 18mp and included OLPF and one from a d7100 without, at say 3200, the canon would to my eyes appear a little cleaner. Say for example also then that I want to clean them up, I may add 10 lumunance noise to the canon, and 15 to the d7100 to equalise them out. They would then have similar noise, but even though I added more reduction to the d7100 it would still have more detail, but this is likely because it has more res.

I'd say for very low iso shots the OLPF helps, for higher it makes no difference,

At least this is my experience

My D5300 does not have the filter and tests done by pros shows it results in sharper, compared to say the D5200 that does have the filter, photos. Now if I only could afford some high quality fast glass.........................

As Keith points out... this REALLY depends on "what" you're shooting.

If you shoot things that have patterns -- lots of rows or columns -- basically think "straight lines" (though there are exceptions) then these are the things that tend to create moiré and for those subjects you want the low-pass / anti-aliasing filters. Think: architecture (lots of straight lines) and fashion (lots of patterned fabrics will create moiré).

If you shoot subjects that typically don't have much in the way of "straight" lines, then moiré is less likely to be a problem and you might gain from using a camera that doesn't have the filter. Think: nature shots, landscape, wildlife, etc. basically things not made by man where there are not likely to be straight parallel lines.

If you're shooting varies and you have lots of mixed subjects (you're not specifically a wildlife photographer or landscape photographer, etc.) then you probably want the filter.

Most reactions

Back