Is there a flash filter that will add texture to colored light?

ElizaMM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am using a speedlight with colored gels aimed at my backdrop to create a soft circle of light , behind a subject and would like to add a bit of visual texture to this. Is there any type of filter I could add to my speedlight to create this texture? Something that would create a soft pattern like the grids that you see on larger studio lights - honeycomb, slats, etc.

Firing the speedlight though a mound of plastic or glass drinking glasses or through a "cookie" ( from cukaloris or cookaloris.sp?) are two methods.

Firing the speedlight though a mound of plastic or glass drinking glasses or through a "cookie" ( from cukaloris or cookaloris.sp?) are two methods.
Textured glass & net curtains can also work, You could even make your own from paper!
But remember any such option would give texture to the main subject if the light from these background lights fall on it.

Thanks for the two helpful replies.
1. I tried Derrel's mound-of-plastic idea by crumpling a cellophane bag & shooting the flash through that at the background which led to 2. Petrochemist's warning about spill on the subject-- putting something opaque at the back of the flash (between the back of the subject & the flash) solved that problem.

@ElizaMM If you're kind of "crafty" you can make your own flash modifiers. To make the "texture", have a look at some of the high-priced examples (called GOBOs) and simply craft your own using some opaque paper or plastic. There are many individual designs, but if you're handy with a scalpel type knife you can easily make one in about an hour.

Once you get that done, attach it to your flash using gaffer's tape or blue painter's tape or hook-and-loop strips.

You can also fashion some "barn doors" using similar material that will keep light from going onto your model.

Congratulations! You may have just saved yourself about $100, and you can make as many different GOBOs as you want to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back