Is there anything good about this photo?

hokies2379

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I kinda like it, but at the same time I don't think it's very good.
IMG_6353.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

You've got a lot of distractions included. The two signs being huge ones.

Crop it vertically.

It also looks like you've got some camera movement.

Yep.

And yes, you have camera movement.

I kinda like it, but at the same time I don't think it's very good. View attachment 133377

The otiginal shot showed the entire night-time environment. Cropping away the majority of the original scene does reveal the camera movement a bit. And removes the city's name, and locational clues, but at the same time makes this a more-universal look at a parking structure. So....kind of one of those 50-50 deals...it also creates two, different pictures.

I used my tripod and remote shutter, so my only thought on the "movement" is that it must have been the wind?
Yes, could be the wind, and also mirror slap. Even a heavy vehicle moving on the street will set up a vibration that can transfer up your tripod.

I also got the impression that some of the blur was chromatic aberration, but I trust 480sparky to know camera movement when he sees it. Check your tripod for wiggly-ness.

I used my tripod and remote shutter, so my only thought on the "movement" is that it must have been the wind?
Yes, could be the wind, and also mirror slap. Even a heavy vehicle moving on the street will set up a vibration that can transfer up your tripod.

I also got the impression that some of the blur was chromatic aberration, but I trust 480sparky to know camera movement when he sees it. Check your tripod for wiggly-ness.

As do I.

Not seeing any indication of camera movement; camera movement affects the entire image, and the "7th & Center" sign looks acceptably sharp to me.

Not seeing any indication of camera movement; camera movement affects the entire image, and the "7th & Center" sign looks acceptably sharp to me.

Look closely at all the highlights of the building. Each specular highlight has a '<' shape to them. The same pattern appears in each of the lark PARK letters.

Look closely at all the highlights of the building. Each specular highlight has a '<' shape to them. The same pattern appears in each of the lark PARK letters.
I see that, but I think that is an artifact of the very bright fluorescent lights and the mist in the air. If you look at the fine details such as the blue & yellow sign, the diagonal shadow lines on the concrete ledge under the 'K' or the decorative elements on the top of the structure image lower right, they don't appear to exhibit any indication of movement.

I see that, but I think that is an artifact of the very bright fluorescent lights and the mist in the air.

I would love to hear a logical explanation of how 'very bright lights' and mist in the air could cause such an effect.

If you look at the fine details such as the blue & yellow sign, the diagonal shadow lines on the concrete ledge under the 'K' or the decorative elements on the top of the structure image lower right, they don't appear to exhibit any indication of movement.

I certainly can see it.

The exact same movement pattern is seen over every part of the image.

Fair enough; might be a combination of old eyes and a sub-par monitor. I've found bright lights, especially fluorescent ones, tend to produce unusual ghosting and other unusual effect in misty environments.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back