Is there anything more portable than a TLR?

mctb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to start shooting medium format. I shoot digital and 35mm and would like to venture into the larger frame stuff. I have been looking around and am about 90% certain that it will be a TLR. Portability is key. I am not interested in something that requires a tripod 100% of the time. If I am doing landscapes, tripod is no big deal. If I am walking around, I would not mind being able to just shoot. The other advantage of the TLR is the ease at which I can take a waist level photo (less obvious than shoving a camera in my face and pointing it at someone).

Am I unfairly missing anything before I shell out my money?

Lots of folding medium format cameras are more portable than a TLR. For portability I like my 6x4.5 Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515 - it literally fits in my trouser pocket.

I am looking to start shooting medium format. I shoot digital and 35mm and would like to venture into the larger frame stuff. I have been looking around and am about 90% certain that it will be a TLR. Portability is key. I am not interested in something that requires a tripod 100% of the time. If I am doing landscapes, tripod is no big deal. If I am walking around, I would not mind being able to just shoot. The other advantage of the TLR is the ease at which I can take a waist level photo (less obvious than shoving a camera in my face and pointing it at someone).

You could look into folders: Medium Format In Your Pocket - Article at CleanImages.com

The TLR worn on a short neckstrap offers pretty good stability when you push downward on the strap, and hold the camera firmly on the lower chest to upper belly area. The strap makes a great steadying device. The TLR is also a huuuuuuge conversation-starter these days. The last time I took my TLR to the beach, I was approached by numerous, numerous people over a whole day, asking questions about my "antique camera", etc; depending on how one looks at it, that could be a good thing, or a not so good thing.

The Fuji rangefinder and the Mamiya 6 and Mamiya 7 are new, modern, nifty cameras. TLR prices range from Made in CHina, used Seagull level pricing, Yashica-Mat prices, Rolleicord, Mamiyaflex 220 and 330 price points, to exotic Rolleiflex models with gold plate and lizard skin coverings.

My TLR balances perfectly on my big belly. The only thing it's good for.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Depends on how you'd use it (a camera, not JC's belly!). I like a waist level finder sometimes, but a folder can be more handy to carry around.

The only thing you might be missing is that it could be inevitable that eventually you'll end up with both. Or more than one of each. And some plastic too while you're at it because those midcentury cameras are cheap and too cool to pass up... that's how it is for me anyway! lol

I thought about the Fuji rangefinders but I am just not a rangefinder kind of person. I like to see what my lens sees.

Folders? What price bracket am I looking at with those? I would ask about the bellows but since I am looking at something compared with a Mamiya, I already kind of know the details.

You could look into folders: Medium Format In Your Pocket - Article at CleanImages.com

Just read through this. Great information!

I thought about the Fuji rangefinders but I am just not a rangefinder kind of person. I like to see what my lens sees.

Folders? What price bracket am I looking at with those? I would ask about the bellows but since I am looking at something compared with a Mamiya, I already kind of know the details.
With a rangefinder you see more than the lens which I find better, I only shoot rangefinders

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Folders? From £20 upwards. Agfa tend to have dodgy bellows more often than other makes.

With a rangefinder you see more than the lens which I find better, I only shoot rangefinders

I was under the impression that the Fuji rangefinders only do portrait orientation through the viewfinder, is that correct?

I am going to drop a note to Jurgen at Certo6 and see what he suggests as a good first time folder. The beauty of the folder will be that my wife will just assume its another camera that I already had. If I break out a black box TLR all of the sudden, I think she might become wise...

I was under the impression that the Fuji rangefinders only do portrait orientation through the viewfinder, is that correct?

I am going to drop a note to Jurgen at Certo6 and see what he suggests as a good first time folder. The beauty of the folder will be that my wife will just assume its another camera that I already had. If I break out a black box TLR all of the sudden, I think she might become wise...
No it is not correct, mine has 2 shutter buttons 1 for landscape 1 for portrait, this is the one i have
Fuji GW690III Review

and here is a shot from my camera, a digital would stuggle to get highlight and shadow detail like this

248-XL.jpg

Most reactions

Back