is this a good deal?

I bought my dSLR with kit lens because I saw lenses that go for $700 and

Now I wish I just bought the body. With my type of shooting, I wish I had the 50mm f/1.8 instead. It's about $100. There's a f/1.4 but way too much for me atm. Plus, I think the f/1.8 will do me good.

its cheaper than amazon
looks to be a good deal if u ask me

yeah, i dont really want to throw down a lot of money on a lens because im new. this would be my first dslr. once i get going with it, and know what im actually doing, i'd put more money towards a nice lens

What you could do is go to a local store first, try out a camera and ask to try out the lens too.

Like I said, I could of saved $200 if I just bought the body and a 50mm.

What you could do is go to a local store first, try out a camera and ask to try out the lens too.

Like I said, I could of saved $200 if I just bought the body and a 50mm.

i will definitely look into that. thanks! :wink:

There is nothing wrong with that kit lens. Do not let it put you off. Now if you can afford a third party 2.8 "walk around" I would go with that, but nothing wrong with what you are looking at and as good as the 50MM is, it is limiting as a general all-purpose lens.

Id say starting out the kit will be fine. So yes that is a fairly good deal. Just remember the kit lens is one of the cheaper builds. But it will work. I used mine on my D50 for quite a while and, got some great shots with it.

alright, thanks for all the input. i'm still debating about spending $650 right now, but i'll definitely keep you guys posted if i get the camera.

If I had $650 when I bought my DSLR, I would have gotten the XSi with kit lens. According to the-digital-picture.com (a respectable source in my book), the EF-S 18-55mm IS is a pretty good kit lens.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-18-55mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx

My first purchase was a used XTi body only and a 50mm f/1.8 II. Yes, the nifty 50 has a much sharper picture but I wish I had the kit lens for the wide-angle ability. The 50mm prime on a crop-sensor camera is just not wide at all. There were so many shots I lost because I lacked wide-angle. I highly recommend you get the XSi with kit lens. Besides, the nifty 50 is only $90 bucks. You can easily scrape up that money in a few weeks, if not sooner.

Also noted earlier but mentioning again. Amazon would be a wise way to go. They have the XSi with kit lens for $655 but that is out the door; no tax and free shipping and they have some pretty good customer service.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B0012YA85A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224210799&sr=8-1[/ame]

Happy Canon shopping ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back