Is this a good price for this camera ??

LokoTripper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok . . . first of all I will like to introduce myself , my name is Jesse , my buddies call me Tripper , I am a biker , I have been a biker since I can remember

Now . . . I love to take pictures , I now use a canon SD630 which is really good , but I want something "better" ;)

I don't know the slightest thing about picture taking , I mean I have taken some really good shots , and I have had a lot of compliments for my pictures , so like I said , I want to get a better camera

There is this guy that is selling me his mint condition , in box with 18-55mm lens , charger , a 4gb CF card , and all included accesories , Canon EOS 20D , he wants $350 dlls for it , is that a good price ??

Is that a good first "real" camera ?? hope you don't mind me asking some Q's , OK here we go . . .

1.Why does the SLR cameras cost more than “regular” cameras ??

2.Is an 8mpx SLR better than a 10 or even 12mpx “regular” camera ??

3.Are my pictures gonna look better just because it’s a SLR camera ??

4.Does it also depend on the picture taker ??

5.Which of the following would you get and why ??

Pentax Camera

Sony Camera

Nikon Camera

You see . . . I do take a lot of pictures , of my friends , trips (rides) , my kids , etc . . .

But I also take videos which I edit to PC programs and create videos and such

·Is an SLR camera for me ??

·How did you knew you needed an SLR camera ??

·I do plan to start printing my pics , is COSTCO a bad place to do so ??

·How do I know if I need lens or special lens ??

·How do you pick which lens you need ??

Dudes . . . I do apologize for this long and boring and maybe dumb thread , but I do not want to spend $350+ dlls on something that it’s not worth it ;)

·Is that a good price ??

·Would you get this camera instead of a brand new one ?? (most important question of all . . . )

·Or would you get one from my list ??

·Is this camera better than the 3 I listed ??

Dudes . . . it will really really mean something to me , if you take the time to answer my stupid questions . . .

Thank you . . . Thank you very much , for any input , comments , rants , or advice , I owe you guys a bottle of Don Julio ;)

Cheers !!

1. More moving parts. Bigger sensor. More flexable.
2. MP is simply a measurement of pixel density. SLRs have physically bigger sensors, therefore collect more light.
3. Maybe. It's more the person behind the camera than the machine itself. Will an amature beat a pro motorcycle racer even on the same bike? Likely not.
4. See #3.
5. Not even gonna get into that.

I'd respond more in depth, but I'm going home from work. Have fun. :)

1. More moving parts. Bigger sensor. More flexable.
2. MP is simply a measurement of pixel density. SLRs have physically bigger sensors, therefore collect more light.
3. Maybe. It's more the person behind the camera than the machine itself. Will an amature beat a pro motorcycle racer even on the same bike? Likely not.
4. See #3.
5. Not even gonna get into that.

I'd respond more in depth, but I'm going home from work. Have fun. :)
Thanks dude . . . I asked about the other cameras , "regular" cameras because they seem to be in the same price range as the one that I am being offered which is the Canon EOS 20D , that is why I wanted to know if you would get any of those instead of the Canon EOS 20D :scratch:

Have not priced it out, but if it is indeed in 'mint' condition, that is a really amazing price.

Have not priced it out, but if it is indeed in 'mint' condition, that is a really amazing price.
Ok . . . so this camera being 5 years since it came out (I looked it up) is it still better than any of the "regular" cameras I asked about ??

Ok . . . so this camera being 5 years since it came out (I looked it up) is it still better than any of the "regular" cameras I asked about ??
Not sure what you mean by a 'regular camera,' but if you are talking point and shoot, without a doubt this will be a much better camera. A DSLR will allow you so much more creatively then a P&S can, and you can grow with it as you learn.

Not sure what you mean by a 'regular camera,' but if you are talking point and shoot, without a doubt this will be a much better camera. A DSLR will allow you so much more creatively then a P&S can, and you can grow with it as you learn.
Oooh ok . . . yeah that is what I meant , if you looked at my starting post , you will see that I was looking at some point and shoot cameras (3 to be exact)

Because I am new to this , I want to be sure that I am not paying $350 dlls for a "used" camera , when I can pay the same and get a "new" camera , hope I make sense ;) now this "new" cameras are all point and shoot , that is why I was asking if this Canon EOS 20D was better than any of those , even if one of the point and shoot has 14mpx ??

Is this a good price for this camera ??

Ok . . . first of all I will like to introduce myself , my name is Jesse , my buddies call me Tripper , I am a biker , I have been a biker since I can remember

Right on dude... Welcome to TPF.

Now . . . I love to take pictures , I now use a canon SD630 which is really good , but I want something "better"

I don't know the slightest thing about picture taking , I mean I have taken some really good shots , and I have had a lot of compliments for my pictures , so like I said , I want to get a better camera

Also read a bit about cameras and takeing photos. Ask questions galore. Never stop asking. There is no “Stupid Question” in photography.

There is this guy that is selling me his mint condition , in box with 18-55mm lens , charger , a 4gb CF card , and all included accesories , Canon EOS 20D , he wants $350 dlls for it , is that a good price ??

Very Good price.

Is that a good first "real" camera ?? hope you don't mind me asking some Q's , OK here we go . . .

Build quality, features, et al. Plus, SLR cameras are set up for YOU to control the shot. Not the camera. Sorta like the difference between a Road King and a Sportster.

Yes and No. The Mp count is in regards to the overall quality of the image. Meaning that the lower the MP count the less resolution (choppier the picture.) However, if you look up information on the film/sensor size (actual dimensions) the larger the size the better the image. Look up format size on th is web site.

Not necessarily.

Definatly!

Pentax Camera

Good camera for all around pictures. Reliable name and good products.

Sony Camera

Formally Minolta & Konica/Minolta. Quality is good, but needs a track record. Sony took over K&M a few years ago, and is still the baby in the true SLR market. Not bad quality, but still a bit of a newbe.

Nikon Camera

Defiantly…. Solid track record, lots of Consumer priced Pro-end stuff available. Also, Nikon has the advantage of being about the only maker who’s lenses made 20 years ago work with the new stuff. Not true for Canon, Minolta/Sony, Pentax Olympus or others.

You see . . . I do take a lot of pictures , of my friends , trips (rides) , my kids , etc . . .

Depends on how much time you want to spend.

(Grew up with them.)

Depends on the operator. As someone who has worked in photo processing, it really depends on the person operating the machine. How well its maintained, etc.

That is something that requires a lot more room to answer. It really depends on individual circumstances. I.e./ let’s say you got a lot of riders going across the country side. You stop at say... Bill Burgers and More, Est. 1900. You have 45 people and a bunch of bikes. The restaurant is 85 feet wide and ya’ll are set up in front. This is a serious wide angle lens shot. Say a 17-35mm lens. If say you are on the same ride and stop in the Carson Nat. Forest and see an elk 300 feet away, now’s’ the time for a 200 or 400 mm tele-photo lens.

Price, Size of glass, price, quality, price, build, price.

Dudes . . . I do apologize for this long and boring and maybe dumb thread , but I do not want to spend $350+ dlls on something that it’s not worth it

Its worth it trust me.!
·Is that a good price ??

Yes.

·Would you get this camera instead of a brand new one ?? (most important question of all . . . )

Depends on what I currently had. If I was in your position, defiantly. Major step up. If you already had a pro-sumer grade camera, then it’s a wash. A pro end set up, step down.

Any one of the brands listed above works just fine.

Depends on the model. If it were a Nikon F3- or D3, no.
A Canon Rebel Xti. Yes.

Dudes . . . it will really really mean something to me , if you take the time to answer my stupid questions . . .

Not a prob. That’s what the forum is all aobut, and we look forward to you posting pics of your ride, rides, and bros.

Thank you . . . Thank you very much , for any input , comments , rants , or advice , I owe you guys a bottle of Don Julio

Can you get a bottle of Mezcal? need the worm to brag.. :D
Cheers !!

Last edited:
Not a prob. That’s what the forum is all aobut, and we look forward to you posting pics of your ride, rides, and bros.
Now that is what I am talking about . . . !!

Yeaaaah , thanks a lot dude , that is exactly what I was looking for , now I have to bother you with this other question

The 3 models I am looking at are :

The
Pentax Optio X70 Black 12 MP Digital Camera 24x Optical Zoom Lens, 2.7" LCD, CCD Sensor

The
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Black 10 MP Digital Camera w/ 10x Optical Zoom

and the
Nikon Coolpix S710 Black 14.5 MP Digital Camera, 3.6x Optical Zoom & 3" LCD

Woud you get any of those , or get the Canon EOS 20D ?? say you didn't know anything about "real cameras" and picture taking . . . would you get the SLR over any of those point and shoot ?? Oh and I am using now a Canon point and shoot 6.0 mpx Powershot SD630 , so I guess any of this will definitely be an upgrade for me . . . right ??

To be very straight forward: ANY modern SLR will hold many more buckets of water over ANY P&S on the market. Period! The reason is twofold:
One: Any SLR will have huge flexibility over a P&S because of the capabilities of lenses, image quality and yes even bragging rights.
Two: Image size. Every P&S has a sensor that is far, far smaller than any DSLR on the market. That image size is very important to image quality. Mp count is a misnomer. Simply put, more marketing than actual quality. (Bigger is better?) Not really. Let me put I to you this way… Put a Kuryakin crash bar on a 1200. Does it make it better than a Heritage with a 96 cubic incher? Same concept.
Simply put: Get the Canon. You cant go wrong. The one thing I will warn you about, is make sure your rear fender rack is large enough for the camera bag you WILL buy!!! (Speaking from experience.)
(2008 Super Glide Custom 105th Annv.)

CopyofPICT0489.jpg

To be very straight forward: ANY modern SLR will hold many more buckets of water over ANY P&S on the market. Period! The reason is twofold:
One: Any SLR will have huge flexibility over a P&S because of the capabilities of lenses, image quality and yes even bragging rights.
Two: Image size. Every P&S has a sensor that is far, far smaller than any DSLR on the market. That image size is very important to image quality. Mp count is a misnomer. Simply put, more marketing than actual quality. (Bigger is better?) Not really. Let me put I to you this way… Put a Kuryakin crash bar on a 1200. Does it make it better than a Heritage with a 96 cubic incher? Same concept.
Simply put: Get the Canon. You cant go wrong. The one thing I will warn you about, is make sure your rear fender rack is large enough for the camera bag you WILL buy!!! (Speaking from experience.)
(2008 Super Glide Custom 105th Annv.)

CopyofPICT0489.jpg
Wooooow look at here !!!

A fellow rider . . .

Thanks again for all your input dude , I own a HD Road king 2003 (100th year edition) and a RoadStar (which is my favorite)

This is a pic I took with my 6.0 mpx Canon and edited a bit on Photoshop , I think it looks good right ?? (IMHO :blushing:)

By the way . . . that is me on my "Salma" I used the self timer mode

tripperpic13.jpg

Good feel overall... Like the pic...

good move on the Licence plate too.

Last edited:

Now . . . I love to take pictures , I now use a canon SD630 which is really good , but I want something "better" ;)

A better camera is going to take better pics than a crummy one but the best way to make your pictures better is to learn how to take better pictures.
Check that camera on Adorama, Ebay, Google and Amazon. I don't know anything about the camera you're talking about but if you do a Google search for "EOS 20D Reviews" you can find out pretty quick if it's any good. I will say though if it's a Canon you can be pretty sure it's a decent piece of eqipment.

That depends on a lot of factors but most importantly on whether you're going to take the time to learn to take advantage of the features you get with an SLR.
No
More than anything else. But if you stood in the same place and took the same picture with a Kodak Easy Share and Canon T1i with a good lens the Canon is going to make the picture better.

Pentax Camera

Sony Camera

Nikon Camera
They all make good cameras.

Probably. It sounds like you want to take better pictures and you can definitely do that if you learn how to use it.
My Kodak was slow. When I pushed the button it took too long before it snapped the picture. It took forever for the auto focus to work and then another forever before I could take the next picture. There's more to it than that but that was enough.

Research
Dudes . . . I do apologize for this long and boring and maybe dumb thread , but I do not want to spend $350+ dlls on something that it’s not worth it ;)

·Is that a good price ??

Thank you . . . Thank you very much , for any input , comments , rants , or advice , I owe you guys a bottle of Don Julio ;)

Cheers !!
I did a quick Google search and it seems a pretty price with all the accessories. It is a five year old camera though.

$350 isn't a lot to pay for a good camera. If you get it and decide that you're not really that into photography you'll have a decent little camera If you turn into a photo freak you'll have a good starter cam. I'd look around a little bit to see if there's something a little more up to date at something close to that price though.

I did a quick Google search and it seems a pretty price with all the accessories. It is a five year old camera though.

$350 isn't a lot to pay for a good camera. If you get it and decide that you're not really that into photography you'll have a decent little camera If you turn into a photo freak you'll have a good starter cam. I'd look around a little bit to see if there's something a little more up to date at something close to that price though.
Yeah . . . that is why I was asking around , it is a 5 year old camera , than again I have seen professional photographers with old old cameras , and they are not even digital !!

I really don't know what to do here . . . but I guess I will get it :thumbup:

One note on that:

Recently my Minolta 7d was stolen. I got around 3500 total for all the loss out of my truck. This included my camera, laptop, tools, water jugs and my 105th jacket.

the money went to pay bills, and get a new camera. i setteled on a Canon 1Ds Mk.1
That Camera is actually 3 years older than my Minolta, and about 12 steps higher in quality. (Do a Google search on the 1Ds.) So I am running a 6 year old camera that dusts my stolen 4 year old camera by leaps and bounds. So your right. Just because its 5 years old doesnt mean its out of date or not good. It just means its 5 years old.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back