Is this a horrible shot at HDR?

Well with this one I only did 5 exposures, because it was handheld.

To Fokker...Nope! Not Bitter enough for my likings. :p I actually do like bright colors. And I look at childrens books quite often since I read them to my son. lol.

Keith- Should I have done 9 instead of 5? Only reason I did 5 was because I was afraid since I didn't have my tripod with me, they would be off a little.

Next time I'll take my tripod.

Also, This is my FIRST landscape shot, so that might explain why there's no "real" subject. I'm not big on landscapes. YET :)

Thank you! I'm quite flattered! :)

By the way. The mosquitos are TERRIBLE. I had to edit out about 3 black dots because they wouldn't get the hell away from me! I need to go buy a can of bug spray for whenever I go outside in the evening.

Mosquitoes? Ever had one in your eye? It's not a very flattering thing to cry and try to get it out by going to town on your eyes.

Anyway, enough about that. Without being an expert on HDR.. Actually, without being an expert on anything photo related (haha), you really made me want to try it myself :D How many exposures did you use?

edit: I really like your shot!

ACTUALLY after I took this picture, I DID get one in my eye! It burned, and I cursed A LOT!

What were the EV steps, +-1 ? And yes, a solid mount is needed to do HDR.

You didn't have enough exposures on the minus side of the light meter.

Not all HDR exposures need to be 1/2 above and 1/2 below zero on the meter, like -2, -1, 0, +1, +2. Your scene there maybe should have been -3, -2, -1, 0, +1.

Oh! So how do you do that? Manually? Instead of letting the camera do it for me?

Oh! So how do you do that? Manually? Instead of letting the camera do it for me?

You can do it manually or use AEB on your camera to do up to +/-3 (or maybe 2) stops.

Speaking of AEB, is there any way to modify the 60D to AEB with 5 exposures instead of 3? I saw that only the 1D line shoots more than 3, so I was wondering if any effort had been made to hack this in.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

You could use aperture priority and just use the exposure compensation set at the appropriate value (though that only goes to +- 2, at least on my camera). Or, perhaps even better, go in M mode and just under/over expose as much as possible. I suppose it would be better to take too many exposures rather than too few. You can always choose the exposures to use at home. Shooting in Manual isn't necessary better than the priority modes, but it forces you to understand exposure much better. That's what I've experienced at least.

I have a question for you. As you did this hand held, won't your images vary slightly in what is in the frame? Or perhaps that isn't a big issue?

The photo isn't a wall hanger, but you did a pretty good job processing your HDR. I don't think you needed 5 exposures though. You'll definitely need a tripod to do a good HDR. FWIW, my preference for HDRs is using hand-blending with Layer Masks. Take a look at my HDR link in my sig... :)

You could use aperture priority and just use the exposure compensation set at the appropriate value (though that only goes to +- 2, at least on my camera). Or, perhaps even better, go in M mode and just under/over expose as much as possible. I suppose it would be better to take too many exposures rather than too few. You can always choose the exposures to use at home. Shooting in Manual isn't necessary better than the priority modes, but it forces you to understand exposure much better. That's what I've experienced at least.

I have a question for you. As you did this hand held, won't your images vary slightly in what is in the frame? Or perhaps that isn't a big issue?

Ummm..Probably. I tried to keep it as close to me and as steady as possible, but I'm sure there is SOME difference in each one. I think next time I'm going to use the pod. Also..since I'm not a pro at landscapes..What should you look for in landscapes? What makes for a great subject?

The photo isn't a wall hanger, but you did a pretty good job processing your HDR. I don't think you needed 5 exposures though. You'll definitely need a tripod to do a good HDR. FWIW, my preference for HDRs is using hand-blending with Layer Masks. Take a look at my HDR link in my sig... :)

I've never tried doing it that way! Looks fairly easy. I'll have to try it! :) Thanks!

You can do it manually or use AEB on your camera to do up to +/-3 (or maybe 2) stops.

Speaking of AEB, is there any way to modify the 60D to AEB with 5 exposures instead of 3? I saw that only the 1D line shoots more than 3, so I was wondering if any effort had been made to hack this in.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

I did use AEB. So I guess next time I'll try it manually. Can't be THAT hard since I mostly shoot manual now anyway. :)

Ummm..Probably. I tried to keep it as close to me and as steady as possible, but I'm sure there is SOME difference in each one. I think next time I'm going to use the pod. Also..since I'm not a pro at landscapes..What should you look for in landscapes? What makes for a great subject?[/QUOTE]

Don't pander lol. Look at some landscapes on flickr that interest you and what you liked about it. Go out and watch the light and how it affects the environment around it. I love moody weather shots, old barns, broken down tractors and equipment. For others it will be strictly the beauty of the scene. Take pictures of what you like. Keep sharing and for what its worth I thought it was a pretty decent first HDR for hand held. I myself am still playing with them.

If you like the nature as much as I do, you'll see great subjects all over the place! :) The difficult part is to compose interestingly. Also, we humans see the world at around 170 cm above the ground. I really like to take pictures of landscapes, nature etc etc from a different perspective. See the nature in a whole different way. Shooting a tree from the ground is a whole other image than shooting at head's hight!

If your subject is far away, try having something in the foreground as well.. sort of to make the image more interesting. If you're shooting a sunset/sunrise, the sky must be pretty spectacular to work as the only thing in the image. Having a couple of rocks or branches or a bird or a good friend, or really anything that you think looks nice in the setting, can work as a foreground semi-subject.

And then there's the not-having-anything-in-the-middle-of-the-frame-rule, and not to mention the not-place-the-horizon-in-the-middle-of-the-frame-rule. But those are just guidelines. Rules exist to be broken.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back