Is this a Pentax Screw Mount Lens?

greenlinenshirt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a lens that I am not sure if it is a Pentax Screw Mount lens or not. I do not have a camera body to test it on. I did a search on eBay for this lens, and from what I can understand the ones with "screw" technology are Leica and M42 (Screw Mount) So i thought I'd ask on here. I took some detailed photos. Any and all help would be

$IMG_3523.JPG$IMG_3524.JPG$IMG_3525.JPG$IMG_3526.JPG$IMG_3527.JPG$IMG_3528.JPG$IMG_3529.JPG$IMG_3530.JPG

Well From what I understand M42 (the Pentax screw mount) means the length of the circle right? I measured a M42 lens I have it is measures about 1 and 5/8 inches. That equals 41.2mm (with error of a simple tape rule that's pretty darn close.

Then I measured the lens in question and it was about 1 and a 1/2 inches, and that equals 38.1mm which is very close to the M39 that I believe the Leica version of the lens is.

So I think I might have gotten lucky as the Leica version is worth about double the Pentax version.

I of course will take any other thoughts on this.

Thanks for the quick reply.
What do you think?

That lens did come with different mounts, so if the measurements of this are different from your M42 lens, it certainly does seem like you got the Leica M39.

Here's a Camerapedia entry about the Schacht lenses: Schacht - Camerapedia

I wasn't familiar with these either but found something on Captain Jack's Exacta website (and no I don't know who Cap'n Jack is but have run across the site before).
http://captjack.exactaphile.com/Schacht page.htm

Looks like these were made in Leica 39mm screw mount, and Pentax or universal 42mm screw mount so I suppose the lens could be either (these were apparently also made in the Exacta lens mount which I think might be a bayonet not a screw mount).

I think the size is measured across the back of the lens opening where it mounts into the camera body. I checked a couple of lenses I have that are standard M42 screw mount and Leica 39mm screw mount - the diameter of the lens opening in the back is that size. (I measured across the outer metal edges of the lens around the glass where it fits into the camera).

KEH's blog has a lens mount guide, at the bottom are links to parts 2 & 3.
KEH Camera Blog: The Lens Mount Guide: Part 1

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back