Is this achieved naturally or has it been PSed?

Not too sure on how it was achieved but that is not straight out of the camera. There has been things done to it especially for that hazy look

I was just wondering if these photos are naturally this color or if they've been PSed?

Esp photo on right:

http://www.eliastahan.com/blog/images/jessica-marie-2.jpg

What about this photo? The one on the right esp. It is subdued and I'm not sure how to do something like that.

http://www.eliastahan.com/blog/images/rachael-leigh-cook.jpg

How is it achieved?

the one of the girl in clear focus and the blur background is done with a lens.

a good 50mm lens will do that

I was just wondering if these photos are naturally this color or if they've been PSed?

Esp photo on right:

http://www.eliastahan.com/blog/images/jessica-marie-2.jpg
I think this was done in post processing; the blacks look rather "pure" for it to have been done in-camera. I think it is post because I see lens flare on the right hand side,and I don't sense real,natural backlighting in the location to actually *cause* lens flare. A Cokin 084 diffusion filter will produce a similar effect to the larger photo on the right.

What about this photo? The one on the right esp. It is subdued and I'm not sure how to do something like that.

http://www.eliastahan.com/blog/images/rachael-leigh-cook.jpg

How is it achieved?

The photo on the right looks like an 85 to 105mm lens stopped down to about f/4 or f/4.5 to me.

I've seen this effect before, but I don't know how it's been accomplished. I think it may be genuine effect somehow (not PSDd).

Here are three examples of shots that I took straight out of the camera to achieve the hazy look.... these were shot in a mister.

So yes it is possible.... the second group looks like it has been desaturated....again it is possible to do in a camera... but not likely.

Cheers, Joe

4049621185_567dfa704e_o.jpg

4017332611_72b3c2db43_o.jpg

4030185789_300f97e7a7_o.jpg

Last edited:
Most every pro. Photographer uses one form or another of PP. Many use PHotoshop, lightroom, and aperature. I guess on the 2nd one they bumped the contrast up.

Exif data is your friend:

Software / Firmware Version = Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh

Not too sure on how it was achieved but that is not straight out of the camera. There has been things done to it especially for that hazy look

Could just be lens flare. It will give you that flat looking, low contrast sort of thing if you get it just right.

Exif data is your friend:

Software / Firmware Version = Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh

But what does that mean? They could have just used it to size for the web. Unless Photoshop imparts detailed data, its hard to say exactly what was done.

It is often very hard to tell what and how much editing has taken place on a shot - sometimes we capture things that look like they have been highly edited when they haven't and vis versa. The only definative answers you can get are from the photographer themself and a little bit of info can come from the EXIF record as well - though EXIF will only ever (at most) list the incamera settings and the editing done on a shot by some editing programs - it can't record the ambient lighting, the support lighting used etc...

I would say first of that there is some use of lighting control going on here - at the very least I would think reflectors with the possible use of flash for abit of fill lighting. If you could zoom in and get a good look at the sunglasses they might reflect some of this used - at the very least they show the clouds fairly well and in the second set of shots it looks to be rather overcast with cloud - thus really helping get softer lighting.

The misty effect could be artifical or real - the first misty shot looks like a possibly failed shot that just looked sorta nice with the possible lensflare and the thicker mist at the base - possibly they were using a mist machine and got better control over it by the time they took the second displayed mist shot since hte mist is a more even cover (or they got sick of it and photoshopped it in) or heck they might have just moved the lens from a cold spot to a very hot one - I have had a similar slight misting effect with condensation on the glass (though this usually also comes with a softening of th results as well so it not ideal).

I'm no lighting expert so I can't begin to guess how the people might have been lit - again its really impossible to second guess without speaking ot the photographer,

Here are three examples of shots that I took straight out of the camera to achieve the hazy look.... these were shot in a mister.

So yes it is possible.... the second group looks like it has been desaturated....again it is possible to do in a camera... but not likely.

Cheers, Joe

4049621185_567dfa704e_o.jpg

4017332611_72b3c2db43_o.jpg

4030185789_300f97e7a7_o.jpg

uhh that looks NOTHING a like. lol

In the first example the photo on the right has been modified in Photoshop, probably has a smokey/cloudy layer on top with approximately 30% opacity.

Actually, there are filter you can get that have a slight sandy edge or a graded sand to give you that look. Most of the effect you find can be done with a good filter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back