Is this fungus?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by XLR8R, Aug 4, 2020.

1. XLR8R

XLR8R TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just got a Minolta XE-5 off Ebay today. When I removed the lens, this is what I saw on the mirror. I'm new to collecting and shooting vintage cameras so this is new to me. Is this just water damage? Is this fungus? What's the worse case scenario? I want to try and clean it but I'm afraid I would make it worse. But if left unchecked, is this going to be a problem?

I'm trying to shoot a roll right now and get it developed to see if it effects the photos. But I'm more concerned about what it will do in the future if left unchecked. Thank you guys.
    IMG_3336.jpg

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    It Looks like fungus to me. Since it is on the mirror, it should not affect your photos but I would think that your viewfinder image might be affected somewhat. The reflex mirror in a single lens reflex is very easily scratched, but possibly you could use something to Eliminate some of the fungus. I have never seen a reflex mirror in such a bad condition

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Space Face

Space Face Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As Derrel says it certainly looks like fungus. It seems quite severe and I'd be concerned it'd have spread to other areas within the body housing, which is worthy of further investigation.

• Like Like x 2
  4. zombiesniper

zombiesniper Furtographer Extraordinaire! Staff Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As stated above it does appear to be a possible fungal growth.

This is something that you will want to investigate further fungus or not. As the mirror flipps up and down it will eventually shed some of whatever this is inside the body of the camera and on the back of the lens. If it is a fungus then you will begin seeing growth in other areas as well if left unchecked.

For cleaning I would use a mild water/detergent mix (dry cleaning will only increase the likelyhood of spreading it) and a soft cloth or Q-tip. Wipe from the inner portion of the mirror out in order to affect the smallest area possible.

Personally I would probably dissasemble the camrea as much as I am comfortable and try to clean as much as possible to try and ensure all of it was gone.

5. Soocom1

Soocom1 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That may HAVE fungus, but its water damage. if you look at the screws holding the mirror in place they are corroded and possibly had a sharpie used to cover the rust.

it wont affect anything, but you may want to consider a replacement mirror. the real issue is the corrosion on the mirror frame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. webestang64

webestang64 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is bad. Good luck with your clean. And don't buy from that EBay seller again.

7. cgw

cgw Been spending a lot of time on here!

Send it back quick. Whether fungus(doubtful)or a desilvering mirror, it's a junker. Friends keep turning up with crap cameras off eBay this year. Dogs like this seem to be driving up prices and deepening the scarcity of EX+ or better bodies.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  8. XLR8R

XLR8R TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The viewfinder looks good. Don't see anything wrong when I look through it. Still trying to decide if it's a keeper or not. lol Thanks for the reply mate

9. XLR8R

XLR8R TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Gotcha. I think I'll have to get adventurous and try my luck. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Appreciate the input.

10. XLR8R

XLR8R TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks mate for the tips on how to clean it. I was thinking of taking it to a camera repair shop or even just getting another one for parts and having the mirror replaced. But I don't know if camera repair shops even know how to (I could be wrong) as it's an old camera. Maybe I'm just underestimating them.

11. XLR8R

XLR8R TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Corrosion would be the worst case scenario right? I'm thinking of getting another one off ebay (this time I'll check the pics for a good mirror) for parts. Hopefully I can find a repair shop that's familiar with Minoltas. Which is another question I've been thinking about. Minoltas being not as popular, how hard do you think it is to find a good repair shop that will do the job?

12. XLR8R

XLR8R TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Really? Even if everything else is good? I'm not to familiar with vintage cameras. I just figured I would get a super cheap one for parts and get it replaced.