Is this how it's normally done!?

Okay folks... 3 pages of debate on facebooks TOS & EULA, etc are not relevant to the OP. Can we get back on track please?

OP, chalk it up to learning experience. If you don't like what happened, don't put yourself in the position to let it happen again.

That being said, there are ways to make this work in your favor. If the photos are something people like, they'll want to know who took them. Put a small, though easy to read logo on them or ask the bride (or whoever) to link back to your facebook - even if it's just your profile page.

Something picking up speed in terms of digital sharing is PASS. It's a free program that allows you to create 30 day galleries - the photos can be downloaded and shared via FB. I create a second gallery with a password for the "client" only that has the photos without a logo. I make it very clear that the images with my logo are the only ones that can be shared via social media/email/etc.

<Moderated>

Last edited by a moderator:
^comments like that, after a mod has already put forth a warning, will get this thread locked. Lets just try to help OP.

Honestly, if you put your work anywhere on the internet there is always gonna be some risk of someone stealing it and using it as their own. You just have to decide whether or not you wanna take that risk, and where you wanna take it, be it Facebook, Flickr, your own personal site, etc.

Though for the people that are saying to put a watermark on their image(s), as I've learned here that won't help much unless the only people who come across your work are severely lacking in Photoshop skills and are incapable of spending 10 seconds to remove it.

Depending on how you do it, it is not necessarily physically possible to remove a watermark. For example, if the watermark pushes highlights or shadows to the point of being clipped, then it is a destructive change and the data would not be able to be recovered.

Or if part of your watermark is opaque. Or all of it (not really a watermark then I guess). Or if you have artwork, not just font (so that they'd have to painstakingly mask it out to remove).

And there is also no solution to "fix" an image only being posted in 400x600 resolution in photoshop. Use small res when publicly accessible and you're covered from any serious abuse, too.

Those are both quality solutions to the OP's problem, no matter where they post images. Or both at once.

Most reactions

Back