is this lens flare?

theregoesjb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was taking some pictures and kept noticing this purple triangle cast over them on the preview, i tried taking off the UV filter but still got it.

What is it and how do i prevent it?

purple triangle by justinbin84, on Flickr

if you look at the front element of the lens and you see sun ray hitting it, you cant avoid it.

Yeah, you've got the lens in the sun. 1st try shading with your left hand like a hat bill etc. I've even used my hat to block it. Just hold it in front of and above. Make sure it is out of the picture but is blocking the direct sun on the lens.

If greybeard's trick works, look for a lens hood !

A lens hood may not be enough if facing the sun, shading with hand (or hat!) will work. I don't see a purple triangle....some like this effect, a nice lazy summer glow.

i second the above, the purple haze seems inviting :)

A lens hood may not be enough if facing the sun, shading with hand (or hat!) will work. I don't see a purple triangle....some like this effect, a nice lazy summer glow.

Check it out Large on his Flickr.. it is really obvious! Pretty well defined. definitely needs a lens hood, or a shade of some sort. But it is not really tha objectionable.. a little PP cleanup would make it more interesting, though.

Check it out Large on his Flickr.. it is really obvious! Pretty well defined. definitely needs a lens hood, or a shade of some sort. But it is not really tha objectionable.. a little PP cleanup would make it more interesting, though.

oh wow, its pretty much a straight triangle, i see it now. always could do a little PS and make it into a haze :lol:

Yea.. love that "purple haze"! ;)

yup, it's lens flare alright

What's wrong with a little purple haze? :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back