sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've *got* to get a better tripod...I'm using my little Walmart Targus cheapie that I used with my point-and-shoot.

But, I'm also buying a lens, extension tubes, and a flash (along with a few other things like wireless triggers...), so I've pretty well spent what I'll have to spend.

I *KNOW* that I cannot get a really great quality tripod for the $100-125 budget I've got left, but I desperately need something better than what I have. So, I am looking for something that will be an "interim" tripod. Since I'd like to move to a D7000 in the next year or so anyway, I'll plan to upgrade to a better tripod by then as well.

So...all that leads me to this tripod I saw today on Amazon: Amazon.com: Ravelli APGL4 New Professional Tripod with Adjustable Pistol Grip Head and Heavy Duty Carry Bag: Camera & Photo

I don't know enough about them to evaluate if it's really worth the cost; the reviews of it seem pretty decent, though.

I'm looking for something I can use to do more experimenting with night photography and some close-up photography (I won't call it macro photography, as I really don't have any macro equipment). I have a D5100 and the heaviest lens I'm likely to have will be a 70-300 or 55-300...no $1,000+ lenses! When I can afford THAT, I'll buy a MUCH better tripod!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
How often do you use a tripod? I have this one-http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V7AF8E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Totally cheap but really effective. It's much more sturdy than the targus (that one is scary!). It works for my limited studio work and occasional outdoor shots. It works with my DSLR :)
That Ravelli looks really nice though, ballhead mounts are luxe IME.

It's really hard to tell from nothing but an internet advertisement. If I were selling a junky tripod I wouldn't advertise it as junky, I'd make it sound like a Gitzo. It may be great, it may be junk, there's just no way to tell from an advertisement.

My advice: Go to B&H and look at what they have. Specifically something along the lines of Velbon or Slik. I know they both have some relatively inexpensive tripods.

High-$$$ gear is something I rarely spend my hard-earned cash on unless I can lay my hot little hands on it first.

I would never never never buy a tripod online with only a description to go by. Descriptions by Joe & Jane Sixpack really need to be taken with a grain of salt.... if you've walked everywhere your whole life, a 10-speed bike will seem like a Godsend. But a 10-speed won't do you much good in you need a truck.

That said, you may be able to use this tripod for a year or so, until you outgrow it. Then you can either sell it or use it for your second camera or as a spare.

How often do you use a tripod? I have this one-http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V7AF8E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Totally cheap but really effective. It's much more sturdy than the targus (that one is scary!). It works for my limited studio work and occasional outdoor shots. It works with my DSLR :)
That Ravelli looks really nice though, ballhead mounts are luxe IME.

I use a tripod a good bit...more and more every day, seems like. I'll check out the one you posted, thanks!

It's really hard to tell from nothing but an internet advertisement. If I were selling a junky tripod I wouldn't advertise it as junky, I'd make it sound like a Gitzo. It may be great, it may be junk, there's just no way to tell from an advertisement.

My advice: Go to B&H and look at what they have. Specifically something along the lines of Velbon or Slik. I know they both have some relatively inexpensive tripods.

Not familiar with Slik; I'll check those out. I'd heard of Velbon, but wasn't sure of their reputation for quality. I've checked B&H, but just browsing, not looking at any specific brands, so I'll go check these two out. Thanks.

High-$$$ gear is something I rarely spend my hard-earned cash on unless I can lay my hot little hands on it first.

I would never never never buy a tripod online with only a description to go by. Descriptions by Joe & Jane Sixpack really need to be taken with a grain of salt.... if you've walked everywhere your whole life, a 10-speed bike will seem like a Godsend. But a 10-speed won't do you much good in you need a truck.

That said, you may be able to use this tripod for a year or so, until you outgrow it. Then you can either sell it or use it for your second camera or as a spare.
I agree with both you and SCraig about the reliability of the "reviews" on the website...and I'm a skeptic by nature anyway, so I *always* doubt a product is as good as it's being made out to be. That's why I thought I'd post this here; see if anyone has had any experience with this particular brand or knows anything about them.

If I can find something in the same price range that my trusted TPF'ers recommend, I'll go that direction instead of risking the money on something none of us ever heard of, no matter how good it "sounds."

Not familiar with Slik; I'll check those out. I'd heard of Velbon, but wasn't sure of their reputation for quality. I've checked B&H, but just browsing, not looking at any specific brands, so I'll go check these two out. Thanks.
Slik has been around a long time. Both them and Velbon are probably comparable in quality for $100-range tripods. Both manufacture some quite expensive tripods as well but whether they compare to higher-end legs I don't know. I have a Slik Mini II that I carry on motorcycle trips because it is very compact and actually pretty well made. There's no way I'd put much weight on it though.

I personally like Manfrotto. They are pretty much mid-range tripods, both in quality and price. I don't use a tripod enough to justify a RRS or some of the other higher-priced brands so I'm happy with what I have.

What worries me about this tripod is that it seems too good to be true. While I am sure there are good, relatively inexpensive Made in China tripods out there, it's usually a good idea to avoid the ones that pack on the features.

Hands down, without hesitation my Bogen/Manfrotto 3011 was the best single investment I have ever made. I've rotated ALL of my equipment many times over, but I would not even begin to think of selling that tripod without first upgrading to something else. IMO the tripod is the third most important thing to own - if you do photography that demands one - after body and lens. If you are accustom to a cheap tripod (sunpack, vivitar) then you really don't know what you're missing.

My advice is to either save another hundred bucks and get a Manfrotto, Gitzo or Slik or look on ebay for a used set. Tripods depreciate at an amazingly fast rate.

Oh. And those quick releases are really easy to use. If it doesn't take a standard plate, you'll need to buy a new head if you loose it.

Ofcourse, my bet is that pistol head is pretty worthless and you'll want to replace it anyway. The legs don't look too bad...

A LOT of people have bought and used the Manfrotto 3011 legs unpopular mentions. The Slik and Velbon brands have been around for decades, and were sold at major retailers for a long time (K-Mart for example sold a lot of Velbon stuff). The thing about tripods is that there are around four basic uses for tripods, and four basic types or classes of tripods that dovetail in with my concept of the taxonomy of tripods. 1) A device to hold the camera for self portraits and casual snaps. 2) A device that can be PACKED or CARRIED without needing a sherpa. 3) A tripod big and tall enough and stable enough to allow you to shoot photos using the tripod to a) steady the camera and b)to allow you to shoot,review, and refine compositions, such as when doing portrait work and 4)A professional tripod that is ROCK-STEADY, often heavy, and ALWAYS expensive. This kind of tripod can do macro shots, extreme telephoto shots, commercial work, etc,etc, and will be the best tripod in its class, but it will NOT be portable over long distances or on hikes.

So...that leaves us at the 1) Slik and Velbon and Chinese-made oddball brands 2) the lightweight stuff with 4-section legs for compactness 3) Bogen and Manfrotto 3000-series type legs and 4)Gitzo high-end legs.

Depends on how much money you want to spend, and what your needs are. I think either the 1) or 3) types are what you'd be happiest with, while spending a normal amount of money. There are many different kinds of tripods on the market. Some are really good at low-to-the-ground work, others much less so.

Also on heads - a lot of people like ball heads - I personally can't stand them. I like the freedom of motion, but the standard ball head feels like a wet noodle to me when loose. You may want to go to a camera shop or camera club sometime and try out the different types of heads. A pistol head just seems cumbersome to me unless you're doing a lot of portraits.

I personally prefer gear heads over anything else. But they are very expensive and heavy.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've heard a lot of people liking Giotto. They look like a good alternative without paying for the Manfrotto sticker.

Hakuba is another name in tripods--sort of like imitation Gitzo designs, but at a much lower price. I like a tripod with a good ball head...but a GOOD ball head costs $300 to $699. I have a Gitzo magnesium ballhead I bought for $150 used (which I considered to be a good price)...it's okay....serves my purposes...there is a German brand of wooden tripod name Berlebach I believe it is spelled--they make modern designs in the traditional ash wood tradition. Allegedly, wooden tripods dissipate vibration better and more rapidly than any metal, and allegedly, better than graphite.

Lotta' tripods out there...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back