I don't think that is being a jerk at all. Reading the manual something everyone should do. I really hope you read yours. If anyone asked a question that could be found by taking a quick look at the manual and someone refers it to them they are being a jerk that's funny. So lets say someone asks a question and there is a sticky about their question and I post the link to the stick am I being a jerk?
no, because posting a link would actually be helpful.
I am all for poking fun, but we're here to help each other, not just ridicule.
and no, I didn't read my whole instruction manual. I've had questions about how to do things on my camera, and I've looked up the answers, but I'm not ready to sit down and read the whole thing.
I'm just not down with internet tough guys who troll forums trying to make fun of new guys. If you're going to say something like that, you should still help the person out. Making fun and not helping is jerky. That's all I'm sayin.