Issues viewing D300 RAW Files

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just bought a D300. I was shooting JPEG for some candid shot and decided to switch to RAW for some headshot of a friend.

It is not TIFF, but just normal RAW (NEF) image quality. I am shooting in sRGB color space and wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I have about 40 images that imported fine but when viewed in Bridge, they are small thumbnail. They are just smaller than normal and the other RAW files I have shot with my D80. Also, when I try to open these images which were shot in RAW, Photoshop opens up and says "could not compelte your request becuase it is not the right kind of document." Is there a setting that I don't have right? I am not able to view right in Bridge or open in Photoshop.

Has anyone else had this issue or not?

Thanks for the help

~Michael~

double check that your version of PS has been updated to support that camera type.

Hmm..That didn't cross my mind. When I have an internet connection I will check on it. I am running CS3 Extended.

What's the difference between the 12 and 14bit RAW files?

~Michael~

you need to visit the adobe site and download ACR plugin for cs3 & the d300, then follow the instructions for installation before PS will recognize the file. As I refuse to update adobe from cs1 I have to use the dng converter to open my d300 nef files or use the crappy nikon or other 3rd party software on my raws, bit of a pain but it gets me there.

If the files are 12mb closed then they are full size raw, if not check your camera settings, but really you should set this camera up for your preferences before shooting. H

I downloaded that plug-in last night and still no success. Is there a certain way to install it to make sure I have installed it the right way.

I'm sure it's something simple I'm not doing right

Michael

Just tried it again and it still didn't work. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

~Michael~

Alright I figured it out. Downloaded the Camera Raw zip file from Adobe. Unzipped it to the desktop. Moved that file to Adope Photoshop CS3 > Plug-Ins > File Formats.

It now works!! I now have the DNG converter as well, just in case but I'm happy I figured out how to do it.

~Michael~

I did say "then follow the instructions for installation before PS will recognize the file."

glad you sorted it. H

Well I actaully didn't see anything on Adobe's site about putting it in the plug-in spot.

~Michael~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back