It (almost) Never Fails - Soft Rant

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm the type that takes my camera pretty much everywhere, that includes the commute to work and back... you know, just in case. I've captured some beautiful sunrises and sunsets but there's never really been anything out of the ordinary or super special so to speak, but I'm always glad I have my camera with me.

I've had this routine for nearly a year now, every day - regardless.

Except last night.

I left my office at around 5:05pm, got to the parking lot and halfway to my truck when I realized I had forgotten my camera at my desk. (Sometimes I leave it in my vehicle, sometimes I bring it in - usually depends if I have photos to upload.) I stop for a moment and decide I don't really feel like going back to the building and up the flight of stairs, then proceed to tell myself that nothing exciting will happen anyway - just like the many drives home before.

Ever get that feeling you're making a bad decision?

I drive away without my camera and decide to take the scenic route home to avoid traffic. Driving through farmland on country gravel roads can be rather therapeutic, if you've never done so I'd highly recommend it.

Anyway, about 10 miles from home I'm coming down a steep hill (still farmland/gravel road) and I see something off to my left, it had to have been at least a 10 point buck, perfect silhouette! I went for my camera only to find a seat beside me with nothing but an empty candy bar wrapper on it. Since it was getting dark I didn't even bother reaching for my phone and just enjoyed watching him run off into the woods, safe for another day.

I would have loved to share the photograph with you, but unfortunately it's merely a memory that will fade now... and my drawing skills just aren't something anyone would want to look at.

If you have a similar story, feel free to share it as well.

lol. I actually do something similar. I generally always have a D90 and a 18-50mm f/2.8 in the back seat but left it at home one day and as I was leaving my house I noticed the sky looked a little more vibrant than usual and was like eghhh... screw it.... it'll be hazy and gray once I get into town like always. But as I drove into the city towards the point I saw the greatest sunrise I've ever seen coming up over the skyline of Pittsburgh. I proceeded to beat the hell out of my steering wheel.

FWIW he probably would have been before you got your camera ready. I have seen a lot deer on roadsides (still living too...) that will stand there even when I stop, but as soon as the window starts coming down take off.

Yeah, even as a slowed he took off... I guess there's a reason he was big, he doesn't take unnecessary chances :lol:

The last time this happened to me was 3 days ago.
Someone at work was telling me about a story where he forgot his camera the night before when he went out for a walk and ended up seeing an amazing moon scene that would have been perfect!
I work downtown Motnreal. As I was walking home from work that day, the sky was really cool looking. I turn my head and see this 50 story building that has an all glass exterior where there was a reflection of an old church with this freaky sky... which looked all that much better in a reflection.
I stood there staring at it for a minute.

As I left work the sun was slanted onto a valley of bright yellow trees. All around that pie shaped stand of trees was a foggy haze from the city. Stunning!!!! I grabbed my camera (which is always in my car) and CLICK!
NO MEMORY CARD INSERTED. I left my memory card in my computerat home. By the time I rifled through every opening, cubby hole, under the seats for a spare memory card the sun had already moved. Opportunity wasted.
So, even when one is prepared one can be unprepared as well. :confused:

I live in fear of this happening to me. I'm getting as obsessive about bring my camera along as I am about my cell phone and my keys. So, knock on wood, I'll be ready. And when I am, I'll have my neurosis to thank.

Not exactly a "forgot the camera" story for me as I don't ever take the camera to work....

All around me is fields, usually grown for hay along with some corn here and there. I get home one evening to see they raked up the hay beside my house and baled it in large round bales. I thought about trying to frame something with the field of hay bales, but didn't. Nothing spectacular popped out at me.

Next morning, I am leaving for work and down the road from me I see they cut, raked, and baled another field. This time, I've got the morning sun popping up and lighting it beautifully. As I said, I don't ever take the camera to work, so I didn't exactly forget it.

Usually, they leave the bales for quite a few days. But the next day after seeing how the morning sun lit up the bales the day before, I take the camera with me to work. As I round the corner, the field is up ahead. The early morning sun is absolutely stunning. Some cloud cover is causing visible rays to shine down onto the hay field. I'm all excited as I get closer, I start to slow down while reaching for the camera and....... they gathered up all the haybales the evening before and there was NONE there!

I didn't forget the camera, someone stole my freakin haybales!

One of the times I forgot to take my camera with me, when I got back to the car where I had parked it...

the car and trunk had been broken in to. One of the many pleasures of living in Metro Atlanta..lol.

If the camera had been with me that day I would have lost the entire camera bag, I'm sure.

I always carry at least a P&S with me, don't always carry my expensive stuff with me.

happens quite often as I don't bring my camera with me anymore to/from work.

I don't trust leaving it lay around a college campus and don't like the idea of leaving the camera in the trunk come winter.

And some things are meant to only be a memory for the moment you say them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back