It's a good thing I was never good at photography....

Wow, sorry to hear that and you will definitely be in my prayers as you begin to adjust to this "new" future.

I am currently reading a book called "Until I Say Goodbye--A Book About Living" by Susan Spencer-Wendel. It's a book about her journey to live fully in the face of a diagnosis of ALS. I'm not that far into it yet, but I've found it an interesting perspective on how to face difficult diagnoses positively. I started reading it because I'm searching for any books that might help me better minister to my friend who lost her husband so unexpectedly a few months ago.
It might be worth a read for you.

I hope that you're able to figure out ways to continue doing photography, but more than that, I hope that you are able to find and embrace the many joys of life no matter what happens with your arms and hands.
Thank you so much. For both the comments and the suggestion for the book. Will pick it up.

I'll be ok. I'm tough, I'm just.... not sure how to deal with this. But I'll figure it out. I'm not giving up, and I'll keep doing what I love for as long as I can. I know there are people out there much worse than me (I deal with applications every day for patients going outside of Canada for some really horrible, debilitating conditions). In the grand scheme of things, I have a good life, a guy who loves me, great friends, a great in-law family and a great online community. I will get through this and figure out how to handle it.

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Barb. But I strongly encourage Derrel's advice (and attitude) from his post! You can figure out workarounds - and it will also help keep your mind off the ailment, and more focused on your creative side. :) Not only that, there is a certain joy to discovering that you actually CAN do something that seemed out of reach - and that's good for the soul, too.

Keep fighting the good fight! :camera: I know you will prevail!

Sorry to hear about the doctor's visit, Barb. But give up photography? NO! No way lady! You're gonna figure out a way to do it DIFFERENTLY, not just quit it! Helmet camera, chest-mounted camera, shooting with a flip-screen camera hung from your neck, or strapped to your forearm, whatever. You can still partake in photography. I saw a wheelchair guy a few years ago with a serious probably C5 spinal cord injury, meaning his hands had very,very limited functionality,and he had a bracket mounted to his wheelchair. His hands were little more than flippers, as is a common term in the para/quad community (believe me, I actually know this from experience) for the resulting hand function that remains after a C5 level spinal cord injury, and yet he was still shootin' photos. You probably will need to adapt or change equipment so that it matches your specific needs, but I am pretty confident that one can still do photography with a wide variety of physical challenges.

"It's not over until it's OVER!"

Thanks Derrel. When I posted, I had literally just found out. I will figure this out somehow, and I'm not going to give up easily. I know there are others out there with *much* worse conditions. I'll be ok, and when it gets really bad, I'll figure out another way to do it. With a little perspective and perseverance, I'll find a way to keep doing photography.

Sorry to hear of your plight, Barb. If it's any comfort, sometimes the deepest sorrows provide a catalyst for the greatest inspiration.

LOL Does he know you're sending him over? That would just thrill me to death! As I said in a reply to someone else, I'm working on the tripod. I really hate it, but if that's my option, then I'll learn to love the damn thing. I have a remote too. I'm just going to have to adapt. I can do that.
No, not yet, but if you just make a noise like a wounded banana, he'll find you in a heartbeat!

Someone is going to have to tell me what a wounded banana sounds like :D Maybe if I dress up in a gorilla costume?

Well, it's not a very a-peeling sound, I can tell you that. :biglaugh:

I am truly so so sorry Barb, all I can say is that we are all with you and don't believe everything the doctors say so easily. I know you're a strong gal, but still I just feel this will help. I have never shared this but I was immobile for about half an year in 2012-13, and this video really inspired me how human mind is capable of just about anything. We want a new post from you everyday on TPF :sillysmi:
And remember your promise of coming to India and meeting up with me, not going to let that pass so easily ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am truly so so sorry Barb, all I can say is that we are all with you and don't believe everything the doctors so easily. I know you're a strong gal, but still I just feel this will help. I have never shared this but I was immobile for about half an year in 2012-13, and this video really inspired me how human mind is capable of just about anything. We want a new post from you everyday on TPF :sillysmi:
And remember your promise of coming to India and meeting up with me, not going to let that pass so easily

Well that made me cry. :hug::

I'm going to meet you Raj, come hell or high water, going to meet you someday.

I'm very sorry to hear this Barb - however there are lots of things; tripods, remote releases, etc that may make things easier, and in the meantime, I'll send Robbins over to be your photo-monkey!

Well I prefer the term concierge - but that works too.. lol.

Hang in there Barb, we're pulling for you.

I'm very sorry to hear this Barb - however there are lots of things; tripods, remote releases, etc that may make things easier, and in the meantime, I'll send Robbins over to be your photo-monkey!

LOL Does he know you're sending him over? That would just thrill me to death! As I said in a reply to someone else, I'm working on the tripod. I really hate it, but if that's my option, then I'll learn to love the damn thing. I have a remote too. I'm just going to have to adapt. I can do that.
No, not yet, but if you just make a noise like a wounded banana, he'll find you in a heartbeat!

Wait, was that the sound of a wounded banana?

Nope.. ahh, crap. False alarm. Move along people, nothing to see here.. lol

:( :hug:: I'm really sorry to hear that, Barb. Hopefully, there will be something sooner or later. did you get a second opinion? Maybe someone out there knows how to do something about it.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Barb. But I strongly encourage Derrel's advice (and attitude) from his post! You can figure out workarounds - and it will also help keep your mind off the ailment, and more focused on your creative side. :) Not only that, there is a certain joy to discovering that you actually CAN do something that seemed out of reach - and that's good for the soul, too.

Keep fighting the good fight! :camera: I know you will prevail!

Thanks Terri. Feeling better than i was this morning Derrel gave very good advice and the encouragement from everyone helped. Scott and I went for a long drive and talk when he got home. We'll deal with whatever happens and find a way for me to continue photography to the best of my ability.

Waiting to hear back on the second opinion. Will take a bit, guy I saw this morning is sending me to a near by bigger city. However, this guy is pretty damn near the best around here so not holding much hope. But willing to do whatever it takes.Sent from my BlackBerry®
:( :hug:: I'm really sorry to hear that, Barb. Hopefully, there will be something sooner or later. did you get a second opinion? Maybe someone out there knows how to do something about it.

Oh Barb, that sucks! Everything I could suggest has already been suggested in a much better way, but really, this is just a slight jog in the road. A startling, unpleasant jog, to be sure, but you'll be great!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back