It's amazing how big a difference light makes

LittleMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out above my house again tonight and got a few more pictures. I couldn't help but take this example to show the amazing difference light can have on pictures. Here's my example, taken just a few minutes apart. Also, no pp done on either of them. Just used a CPL.

Before the light was good:
IMG_5247.jpg

And when it became acceptable:
IMG_5252.jpg

C&C appreciated :)

Wow. Nice comparison. Big difference #2 looks really nice. :thumbup:

wow really?
just a cpl and a little shift in light?

wonderful difference. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone :)

Yep, the only difference between the two pictures was the moment of capture (and obviously shutter speed for the difference in light). #1 was taken when the sun was behind a cloud, and #2 was taken when it peaked through. Even the CPL was used on both of them.

Nice comparison, number two is a good shot.

The deep blue sky makes the mountain pop in #2. Did you use a ND or polarizer filter in these shots? I like it:mrgreen:

This is why I love studio work, no waiting for those pesky clouds to move :lol:. I do have to say however, that the difference between having a cloud and not having a cloud is in this case quite amazing. I can't say that I have ever noticed such a difference myself, although that may be because we always have clouds here :razz:.

did you use same exposure between the 2 shots?

I want a cpl so bad! are they good for portraits of people indoor and outdoor? Also I have the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm and about to purchase the 35mm f/1.8. What size cpl do I get? I know a dumb question but i'm still a newbie to the technical stuff :)

did you use same exposure between the 2 shots?
Yep, the only difference between the two pictures was the moment of capture (and obviously shutter speed for the difference in light).
Easy to miss as well :)

Yes, obviously light makes all the difference, always. Plus, in this case the light seems to be hitting the subject from the side, which brings out all the texture in both the rock and the plant, giving life to something that was flat in the first shot.

^^^ My thoughts exactly. I've noticed that in the past few months I've become a lot more selective about the pictures I take. Before, I would have been happy with the first picture, most likely deciding I could "fix" it in Gimp. I, like many other beginners (as well as some more "advanced" hobbyists) assumed I could just alter it in post to get the desired effect. Normally this was achieved by a mighty shove of a couple sliders, and I thought it looked ok.

I can now happily say that I am beyond that. I generally try to be able to convey my pictures out of the camera how I envision it in my mind, how it appears to my eye in the field. There are just some things that can't be duplicated on a computer. That being said, there will almost always be some way that pp can help. I just try to improve my skills and my eye as much as possible, thereby limiting the need for it.

Thanks again everyone :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back