What's new

It's done, I've decided on a new lens and a backpack

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Aug 29, 2010
Messages
3,400
Reaction score
657
Location
Norway
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tokina 12-24mm f/4 II
tokina1224ii_400x400-300x300.jpg



Lowepro Fastpack 350 Blue
Lowepro_Fastpack_350_Blue_Bleu.jpg



I've chosen the 12-24/4 over the 11-16/2.8 due to the little extra reach on the long end. I really feel I'd be limited by the 16mm range of the 11-16mm. The widest I've used is 18mm, ands o 12mm is going to be pretty darn wide, even if 11mm has a 10 degree wider field of view. The constant aperture of f/4 will be nice as well. Honestly, I don't think I'll really miss it that much. Perhaps if I need star to be dots instead of lines. Ahh, I've got my 50mm/1.8 for that, I can always merge images afterwards.

As for the backpack, the fact that there is room for stuff other than camera equipment is a huge selling point for me. I'd like to be able to efficiently store food, a jacket and stuff like that. Only thing I'll have to make my own tripod holder, but I've read people who don't fancy the integrated tripod holder anyway. I like going Macgyver from time to time.


:D

I'm considering taking the 5 minute train ride to the store right now. I've got the money... The store is open... I feel the need of a wide angle... I just don't like spending money :(
 
........ Only thing I'll have to make my own tripod holder, but I've read people who don't fancy the integrated tripod holder anyway. I like going Macgyver from time to time.
..............

That was an absolute MUST HAVE when I went to a backpack.
 
Those two latches pictured on the bottom won't accomodate your tripod?

I'm on a motorcycle when weather permits, MUST have tripod holder.
 
f2.8 on the 11-16 is worth it...

Coincidentally I was checking out a friends Lowepro Fastpack 350 yesterday. I would take any of the clik elite bags over it any day, in fact the photographer who owned the Lowepro agreed and was drooling over my bag.

Hope you enjoy your purchases
 
I've chosen the 12-24/4 over the 11-16/2.8 due to the little extra reach on the long end. I really feel I'd be limited by the 16mm range of the 11-16mm. The widest I've used is 18mm, ands o 12mm is going to be pretty darn wide, even if 11mm has a 10 degree wider field of view.

you can always walk 10' closer to what ever you're taking a picture of. OR use a longer lens.
the whole point of a 'wide angle' lens is to shoot wide angles.
I'd rather be able to get 10 degrees of more landscape than 10' more zoom.
that's just me though..
 
I've chosen the 12-24/4 over the 11-16/2.8 due to the little extra reach on the long end. I really feel I'd be limited by the 16mm range of the 11-16mm. The widest I've used is 18mm, ands o 12mm is going to be pretty darn wide, even if 11mm has a 10 degree wider field of view.

you can always walk 10' closer to what ever you're taking a picture of. OR use a longer lens.
the whole point of a 'wide angle' lens is to shoot wide angles.
I'd rather be able to get 10 degrees of more landscape than 10' more zoom.
that's just me though..

The thing i like with the 12-24 is at 24mm it has NO distortion and this makes this lens usuable for quick portraits. i had the 11-16, i sold it and bought the 12-24 for the extra reach. it all depends if your shooting landscape only or you want the little extra reach for quick portrait without having to deal with distortion much
 
I've chosen the 12-24/4 over the 11-16/2.8 due to the little extra reach on the long end. I really feel I'd be limited by the 16mm range of the 11-16mm. The widest I've used is 18mm, ands o 12mm is going to be pretty darn wide, even if 11mm has a 10 degree wider field of view.

you can always walk 10' closer to what ever you're taking a picture of. OR use a longer lens.
the whole point of a 'wide angle' lens is to shoot wide angles.
I'd rather be able to get 10 degrees of more landscape than 10' more zoom.
that's just me though..

The thing i like with the 12-24 is at 24mm it has NO distortion and this makes this lens usuable for quick portraits. i had the 11-16, i sold it and bought the 12-24 for the extra reach. it all depends if your shooting landscape only or you want the little extra reach for quick portrait without having to deal with distortion much

I have the 11-16 too. The faster 2.8 matters to me. I have a 24-70 that covers me on the rare events I want to shoot a portrait with something that wide
bigthumb.gif
 
tokina 12-24 with no distortion correction.
its pretty damn straight. i love that lens

both shot at f9
5574900149_8dbea4b4d0_z.jpg



5574895355_b841a1ed6d_z.jpg


here a shot at 12mm f9

5574906761_5e3a735403_z.jpg



Here another one at 12mm. F4.5 iso2500

5574925975_c84270e2d7_z.jpg
 
f2.8 on the 11-16 is worth it...

Coincidentally I was checking out a friends Lowepro Fastpack 350 yesterday. I would take any of the clik elite bags over it any day, in fact the photographer who owned the Lowepro agreed and was drooling over my bag.

Hope you enjoy your purchases

Amazon is giving them away. Do you have this model? Its looks borderline too big for an airline carry-on? Amazon.com: Clik Elite CE405BK Elite Pro (Black): Camera & Photo

I have the hiker Hiker | Clik Elite and the pro body sport http://www.clikelite.com/products/probody-sport/ I hope to pick up either the bottle-rocket or contrejour 40 before the years end.
 
I love my fastpack 250! It holds 5 lens, camera body , flash , laptop, and other small accesories with no problems. I also like how for the most part it looks like a standard backpack. It will also carry a monopod or maybe a small tripod under the rear flap. Enjoy!
 
Just got home..... with the stuff in my new backpack :) Looking forward to try this out!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom