What's new

It's Fall. Time to Harvest

Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
41,401
Reaction score
5,706
Location
Iowa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Around here they started harvesting soybeans September 10.
They started harvesting corn about a week and 1/2 ago.
These guys were working today about 1/2 a mile from where I live.

CornHarvest.jpg
 
Interesting. But as a photo it's rather dull. I'm assuming this is for info rather than CC?

Jake
 
My sister lived in Grimes Iowa (while in med school)and I had the pleasure of seeing a field across from her house harvested. It's really quite a site to see. The amount of equipment, and time it took to harvest one field was impressive and awe inspiring.
 
Last edited:
Here in the PNW, John Deere has made HUGE inroads in combines,and to a large extent, tractors as well. In the 1980's it was almost all International-Harvester combines (I ran an old I-H sidehill combine for a few summers!) that ruled the roost, but now...it's JD green that rules, by a mile in both tractors, but most-especially combines. All the others, Massey,McCormick,ALlis-Chalmers, Ford, Case,Kubota, Versatile, Gleaner...all pretty much dead here, at least as volume of units actually working the ground or harvesting this region's abundant grass seed or hard white winter wheat, or cutting and baling hay and straw. I thought the old Allis-Chamers AC 7050 was a fabulous cab tractor for pulling a disc behind a big plow pulled by our massive 8-wheel Versatile.
 
Here in the PNW, John Deere has made HUGE inroads in combines,and to a large extent, tractors as well. In the 1980's it was almost all International-Harvester combines (I ran an old I-H sidehill combine for a few summers!) that ruled the roost, but now...it's JD green that rules, by a mile in both tractors, but most-especially combines. All the others, Massey,McCormick,ALlis-Chalmers, Ford, Case,Kubota, Versatile, Gleaner...all pretty much dead here, at least as volume of units actually working the ground or harvesting this region's abundant grass seed or hard white winter wheat, or cutting and baling hay and straw. I thought the old Allis-Chamers AC 7050 was a fabulous cab tractor for pulling a disc behind a big plow pulled by our massive 8-wheel Versatile.
I have operated almost all types of construction equipment and I would love to run a combine although, I have heard it gets boring quickly. Also heard that these days they are run by satellite which would be even less enjoyable.
 
Yes, running a combine gets boring after about an hour, at least on level ground. On STEEP side-hills, it is...well...anywhere between exciting, exhilarating, and nerve wracking...you have one set of wheels elevated eight or nine feet, and the others extended wayyyyyy down below you, and the exit door is on the left hand side-ONLY...so you know...you get pretty in-tune listening to the sound of the hydraulics as the wheels extend or retreat, and the end of each pass your heart stops a little.
 
I had a bunch of guys from John Deere visit my place of work just yesterday. I was hoping they would be giving away hats or jackets etc....but it looks like I'm out of luck.

We are the western Canadian distributor of JD industrial engines, we don't deal with any ag. equipment though, which is too bad, because I thing all that stuff is pretty cool.
 
Also, if you're going to harvest corn...you might as well go big or go home.

ThreadbareHomelyBluewhale.gif
 
That corn sure is green, which means it likely has a high moisture content (50% - 60%).
Were they harvesting for silage?
 
KmH and Overread posting photos?

The end is neigh!
 
KmH and Overread posting photos?

The end is neigh!
this is actually good to see.
be nice to get more of the higher talented long time members posting photos on here.
 
Around here they started harvesting soybeans September 10.
They started harvesting corn about a week and 1/2 ago.
These guys were working today about 1/2 a mile from where I live.

CornHarvest.jpg
is this overexposed or is my screen off?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom