It's getting serious. And I'm getting nervous.

Dubious Drewski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'll be shooting this girl soon. A very beautiful girl. She'll be the first model that I'll have not known or met prior to the shoot. She's my first female stranger.

Now for some reason, I'm very nervous and anxious about the shoot. She's a very beautiful girl and I want to do her beauty justice. I'm racking my brain coming up with ideas for poses and setups for her. I don't want cookie-cutter plain-Jane-vanilla-tableaux shots.

I guess it's useless to ask for creative portrait ideas, but even besides that, do you guys have any advice? I think I should get her number and call her before the shoot to build up a bit of rapport. I can't imagine how awkward it would be on the day to get all in her personal space with a camera in her face without even knowing her first.

I'll need to discuss wardrobe with her anyway. Hmm.

Eighty one views and nothing to say. I have this strange knack for these types of posts. Like everything I say on the internet is a form of punctuation, and nothing comes after it. It's not just this forum, but on others as well.

A thread only ends once I add some inane comment on the end to kill it.

I'll say something! (as the forum rolls their eyes...lol)

I say you do about half cookie cutter shots, and about half unique stuff. You want vanilla to fall back on. That away if for some crazy reason all of your creative stuff doesn't have the right feel to it, you at least have some quality (though maybe not as creative as you'd like) images you KNOW will turn out okay.

Though I could be wrong. But if this is a mutual agreement where she keeps some photos for her portfolio and you get to photograph her, then I think you need to play a conservative game at least for half of the shoot. If its all about you, then just do what you feel.

S'far as rapport goes, even beautiful girls can have a hobby that they're really into that may seem geeky. Don't forget she's just a person, so if ya get to know her on that level, like find out if she's got a pet project she's always wanted to do, it'd make it easier for all round.

Just my two cents

Well call her up and tell her you have a few things to go over...poses...music for the shoot ect. Ask her to name the place for the meet and that should tell you something about her and put her at ease also.

just a thought

fil

If she's THAT beautiful - just bear in mind NOT to have any lens in your trouser pocket...
Seriously though - as above - for the most part, you ought to shoot the more generic "model" shots first (which should be the majority) then play around for more "unique" shots...
just my 67c worth (round that up to 70c)
Jedo

Half your luck. I would love to give something like that a go, and not for the simple fact of spending time with a good lookin lady. I guess it depends on waredrobe as to how much you would feel the need to be comfortable around each other but either way its probably a good idea to meet or chat in some capacity first. What are the photos for, her portfolio, your portfolio, just for fun and experience?? Just have fun. The more layed back and relaxed you are, the more she will be also and will probably let her hair down a little more. Good luck and post some results.

I like your idea to give her a call and talk things over with her and get to know her. I find that its always easier to talk to the model while I'm setting up equipment, changing settings etc, and joke around or find stuff out about her.

I would definitely do some everyday run of the mill shots and after you're sure you have something that will turn out, just go hog wild and have a good time and do some crazy stuff. Don't forget to ask her too, she might have something in mind that she is looking for, especially if she is going to be getting these for her portfolio.

I think you'll find most girls (even the pretty ones) are very nice. I would call her first and talk about a few things so you can know a bit about her personality. That might even help you know what creative shots will work well with her.

Well this is a wonderful wealth of replies. Thank you all. I underestimated you. Each of you has some good pointers. I like the idea of taking some serious photos to fall back on as well as some crazy ones.

But guess what? She's bringing a friend! I'll still be doing the photos I was planning to shoot, but I'll also be doing two-person portraits! Man, oh man.

Anyone ever photographed two people (Both women) at once? How do you set up poses for that?!

I'm going to be learning a hell of a lot tomorrow evening. As for tonight, I'm going to practice setting up some lights and doing some self portraits so I'll have a better idea what to do tomorrow. I can't believe I'm so nervous. How silly.

Well this is a wonderful wealth of replies. Thank you all. I underestimated you. Each of you has some good pointers. I like the idea of taking some serious photos to fall back on as well as some crazy ones.

But guess what? She's bringing a friend! I'll still be doing the photos I was planning to shoot, but I'll also be doing two-person portraits! Man, oh man.

Anyone ever photographed two people (Both women) at once? How do you set up poses for that?!

I'm going to be learning a hell of a lot tomorrow evening. As for tonight, I'm going to practice setting up some lights and doing some self portraits so I'll have a better idea what to do tomorrow. I can't believe I'm so nervous. How silly.

Do you have to shoot both of them at once? I'm no professional, but you could always shoot with one, and then the other... If they insist on ones together, then oblige, but I really wouldn't volunteer it unless they ask.

I'm kind of confused as to why you'd have two women in one shot. Unless it's product placement or its glamour, wouldn't it be counterproductive to have two points of focus in the photo?

I'm kind of confused as to why you'd have two women in one shot. Unless it's product placement or its glamour, wouldn't it be counterproductive to have two points of focus in the photo?
Exactly. That's the cause of my concern. There are a couple of purposes to this photo session. Goal number 1 is to expand my portfolio. Goal number 2 is to provide the model with some personal shots for her own uses. Most shots will be of just her, but she requested I shoot some with her friend as well. I won't say no to a challenge, especially when beautiful women are involved. So despite the impracticality of it, I'll gladly accept such a request.

Really, all I'm after in all of this is experience. And having to simultaneously worry about two models while shooting will probably teach me ...something valuable. I don't yet know what.

By the way, girl #2 has been in front of my lens before. This is her, if you remember.

I'm no expert but you are welcome to my 'amateur' thoughts.
Stop thinking of them as BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, for what you're doing, they are just MODELS!
Shoot them separately and only do 'joint' ones at the end, for fun, when they are more relaxed. I doubt if either of them want pictures of another girl in their portfolios so don't suggest it.
JMHO

Andy

Ok. It went quite well. I was able to coax some really nice individual shots from them and I can't wait to share what I've captured.

Though they paid me in alcohol, so tonight I'm not quite in the best shape for photo editing and you guys will get to see the results tomorrow after I sleep.

Ok. It went quite well. I was able to coax some really nice individual shots from them and I can't wait to share what I've captured.

Though they paid me in alcohol, so tonight I'm not quite in the best shape for photo editing and you guys will get to see the results tomorrow after I sleep.

Hmmm, if they paid you in alcohol things must have gone well. Perhaps some of the details are best left out :)

Most reactions

Back