It's going to get warm for the UK

I remember being in Faslane once when it was 30c. People were literally passing out from the heat. 40's gonna be bad I suspect.

I live in a country which is around 32 all year round (but with very high humidity).

I’m visiting the UK currently and as im on the coast don’t have to worry too much about 40+ I hope (forecast says 30 tops).

Trouble is of course no aircon here outside of cars and offices (usually). 40+ is indeed a scary figure for here, especially for the old.

Plan on doing nothing during the day. Netflix and water. If you don’t have ac, a fan over a bowl of ice is surprisingly effective. In that type of heat, unless you’re used to it, it’s very easy to overdo it. Save any absolutely necessary activity for after sunset or before sunrise. Dress in light fabrics that don’t hold the heat. Don’t forget that your dog will need a lot more water as well and don’t walk it on a hot sidewalk. Good luck. Keep us posted. Stay safe!

Some good advice here. We get 100+ on a regular basis during July and Aug. Lots and lots of water. And if you go outside sun screen and/or a hat. I’m weird but wear long pants and sometimes long sleeve shirts to keep from getting burned.

Before sunset is a good idea; typically the lowest temperatures are a bit before sunrise.

Good luck with it, Jeff. What everyone else said and my best advice is don't go outside unless you really have to and always hydrate at least a half hour before if you do go out. Always wear light, breathable clothes and if you do start feeling a little lightheaded, get into the shade right away and cool off. If you stop sweating and get a cold, clammy feeling, get to a hospital asap. Best wishes!

I was in London the summer of 2003 for the record breaking heat that year. I was living in Chicago at the time and 100 degree days are not uncommon in July and August and we prepare for them, but London was not ready. I saw teens wearing leather jackets and boots in the tubes dripping sweat and men refusing to take off their suit coats. Lots of reports of heat stroke.

Take care of yourself. It's important to have a place / way to cool off, especially when sleeping. Here in Houston we are having a record breaking July. Right now we are in the middle of a week of 100 - 104 F. Our biggest concern is the strain on the power grid. If we lose air conditioning, we are in trouble.

I had to go out today so made sure I was out and then back home before 10.30 am, tomorrow will be hotter so will do the same again and stay in with the fans on.

Thankfully I didn't have to go out today, too much work to get done in the office, although it only gets used a handful of times during the year, but it's one item we wouldn't be without, it should go down to around 18 degrees later on.

Attachments

• 20220718_213537.jpg
    20220718_213537.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 32
Thankfully I didn't have to go out today, too much work to get done in the office, although it only gets used a handful of times during the year, but it's one item we wouldn't be without, it should go down to around 18 degrees later on.
Smart to have one on hand even if it’s just needed a few times each year. The portable ones are great because you can just roll it into whatever room you’re in.

Sad to see wild fires here in the UK, saw many with me being born in Australia but the UK is still shocking.

Smart to have one on hand even if it’s just needed a few times each year. The portable ones are great because you can just roll it into whatever room you’re in.
Although you can wheel this one into any room, it still needs to be vented outside via a 6 inch tube, we've made a piece of plywood that fits into a small window opening, which can be removed in the winter months, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get much done in the office without it, 36 degrees outside today, and just over 21 in the office,apparently the temperatures are going to drop for a few days

Well, it did get to 40.3c in parts of the UK but for us just 38c,....

Most reactions

Back