What's new

It's here.

Well Tim, after the blow out over the phone with B&H yesterday and me reversing my pre-order charges, I am back to square one. Well, close to square one as I am still on a list at a brick and mortar in Montana. After spending nearly $40,000 at B&H last year, I am severing all future business with them.

Congrats again, and nice photos. Nice gun too........you suck. LOL;)
Call up Adorama and see if you can get on their list. I bet you have a camera in hand in two weeks or less.

B&H is telling people things like "we haven't gotten any yet" even though people on the Canon forums have posted they have gotten theirs from them. People are also reporting that some were told no pre-order lists were being kept and others were told they were on a pre-order list. Some have reported putting themselves on this list several times, only to find out they're still not on it. I don't know what's going on over there, but I wouldn't bother with it.

I wasn't very quick to get on Adorama's list when the announcement was made (a couple of weeks passed before I jumped) and yet I got mine shipped within a week of stories hitting the net they were landing in the US.

Contact Meyer #28 (call and ask for him). Tell him I referred you and tell him about your problems. He talks quick, but he's a great guy who has worked wonders for me in the past. See if he can't get you rolling with a 1D4.
 
Last edited:
THanks for the info Tim. I will give them a call after I check the Montana store again this morning.

Derrick
 
Well Tim, after the blow out over the phone with B&H yesterday and me reversing my pre-order charges, I am back to square one. Well, close to square one as I am still on a list at a brick and mortar in Montana. After spending nearly $40,000 at B&H last year, I am severing all future business with them.

Congrats again, and nice photos. Nice gun too........you suck. LOL;)

$40'000 WOW!!! You should have been the first to get one! Sounds like they lost one he!! of a customer. And my wife thought I spent alot last year a measley $4000. They have any job openings where your at Montana?:mrgreen:

edit: Oh and congrats inTempus on the new toy looks amazing!
 
Last edited:
$40,000 is a drop in the bucket to some other people, but it wasn't too me. I work very hard in my non-photography related job, spending my life (literally) on a drilling rig 24 hours a day for weeks on end. Photography is a hobby first and an actual business when I am at the house. (obviously the business is in the hole this last year....LOL) Regardless, I wasn't asking for any special treatment from B&H, my 40,000 is a drop in the bucket to them. What I was asking for was for them to be honest and straight forward, which they failed to do with their email notification vs phone sales to non-email list people. It may be a slight thing to most folks on here, but B&H has really fumbled the mkIV release.
 
Take a picture in a room without any lights.

...okay, I admit I'm just being envious. :D

Damn, paired with the 50mm f1.2 it looks awesome...
 
Take a quicky at 102,400 just out of curiosity :D
 
One of the complaints about previous Canon bodies was the lack of a useful auto-ISO.

I was playing with the 1D4 in my hotel room last night. When set to auto, the camera would pick an appropriate ISO number for the ambient conditions when using either Av or Tv modes.

When in Av mode it would set the shutter to the minimum shutter speed based on your focal length. With my 24-70 zoomed to 70mm it would select 1/80. If I zoomed out to 24mm it would set itself to 1/25.

When in Tv mode it would adjust the f stop to an appropriate level and weigh that against the ISO setting. It didn't just set the camera to f/2.8 and then the minimum ISO for a shot. It would select f/3.2 and ISO 6400 for example. I never found a situation where it selected an inappropriate ISO setting.

The beauty of the 1D4 is that you can set a min/max ISO setting. So if you don't want to go above ISO 6400, you can prevent it.

I might actually start using auto-ISO on this bad boy in situations where things are moving quickly and I don't want to mess with it. I've never used auto-ISO in the past but given my tests last night I'm pretty comfortable with the implementation on the 1D4 to start messing with it more.
 
Here's a shot I took at the airport yesterday. This is shot at f/2.8 and ISO 800. I was reading the manual and playing with the settings. This lady approached the ticket counter so I took a quick shot to see how the image looked.

763850586_BCK9H-L.jpg

Larger image: http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/763850586_BCK9H-X3.jpg

The total lack of anything resembling noise at ISO 800 is amazing. It looks like ISO 200. I shot this in RAW and exported with default settings in DPP.
 
I agree Tim. Although I don't have mine in hand, I have read the manual front to back many.....many....many times. LOL It appears the auto ISO is practical now. Have you tried the multi-spot metering and let the camera average your spot meterings yet? Just curious how it works. It appears you can spot meter 8 times, then let the camera select the appropriate exposure. Not something I would use often, but for some reason i wanna play with it.
 
Tim .. Taking pictures at the airport??? Did anyone come to you and ask you if you are a terrorist? :lol:
 
Hmmmm ....

Because of this discussion, I went to check the manual on my 7D to see how it works. I've never had a camera with auto ISO previously. I haven't played with auto ISO on the 7D yet. Although there is no ceiling adjustment like you describe on the MK IV, the manual says that auto ISO on the 7D limits the maximum ISO to 3200. I'm going to have to play with this.
 
Tim .. Taking pictures at the airport??? Did anyone come to you and ask you if you are a terrorist? :lol:
Nah, I'm discrete. I only used my 70-200 f/2.8 IS and a 1D. They didn't even see me.
 
:lol: That's called hiding in plain-sight! No way a terrorist would announce his presence like that!
 
The beauty of the 1D4 is that you can set a min/max ISO setting. So if you don't want to go above ISO 6400, you can prevent it.

I might actually start using auto-ISO on this bad boy in situations where things are moving quickly and I don't want to mess with it. I've never used auto-ISO in the past but given my tests last night I'm pretty comfortable with the implementation on the 1D4 to start messing with it more.

Do you know how much crap I took for saying Auto-ISO was a extremely useful feature on the D90,D300s and D3? There are about 5 pages in one thread bashing me about it from about 10 different people.... :er:

Glad to see someone else has found the potential usefulness.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom