It's me.... Just back to update me progress

Elizabeth30

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello again, I'm just moving along with my learning and felt like I need more motivation to keep going. You all put a fire in my behind the last time I was posting so I'm back for more abuse :lol:.

I've been focusing on my lighting mainly. I've learned that lighting can make or break a photo so I've been learning how to properly choose good metering and ISO speeds and exposure comp. Still have a long way to go though. I haven't been able to take any out door photos all month with these frigid temps though but here is a photo I took today. I'm doing one of those P52 projects and this weeks theme is emotion and this is the photo I choose.

M4H 6/52 Emotion by lizzie2481, on Flickr

cute shot!

Do you think it would be stronger if you had shot it in portrait format (vertical) as that would emphasize the boy, and his expression.. and not have all the wasted dead space?

Could you have maybe captured it a little better by lowering your shooting position a couple inches?

cute shot!

Do you think it would be stronger if you had shot it in portrait format (vertical) as that would emphasize the boy, and his expression.. and not have all the wasted dead space?

Could you have maybe captured it a little better by lowering your shooting position a couple inches?
Yup, I was thinking the same thing. Well almost. When I first looked at the shot I noticed the cut off limbs. But I did think that landscape would have been fine if I had move back a touch and to the left as his elbows went out far enough there would be less space below and underneath him. I thought portrait might have caused to make dead space above and below?

possibly... the thing to do with shots like this, is to shoot them both ways. Give yourself options to play with.. and don't frame so tight! I remember you now... and there was quite a bit of drama last time. Glad to see you are actually working on improving! :)

Emotion...yeah this works.
If his face was tilted just a smidge more towards you it would have been better.
The thin depth of field you used works very well to steer the eye to his face.
Emotion can be tough to catch...you did it here.

possibly... the thing to do with shots like this, is to shoot them both ways. Give yourself options to play with.. and don't frame so tight! I remember you now... and there was quite a bit of drama last time. Glad to see you are actually working on improving! :)
Oh yes Drama, I HATE drama. So I took a break :D
Yes both ways would have been great! Too bad kids are really hard to catch period let alone 2 shots!!! LOL I got several shots of him but he was constantly moving and this was the best of them all. My kids make photography a challenge. As they move, the light in always changing and so is the focal point. Not to mention composition when using a prime lens. BUT I think having these challenges helps to make me think about how to capture them and adjust my settings quickly as our surroundings change.

I would crop the photo on the right side to eliminate the dead space

I am glad to see you back! I thought you had given up on the forum!

I am glad to see you back! I thought you had given up on the forum!
Nope, but I did join clickin Moms! Great forum! TONS of information there! Although I haven't posted any photos there yet I have been going through all the informational forums. I love it!

I believe this might work in square format where you crop off part of the right side. I like his expression, because it's not really evident what he's feeling. I sense some sadness, as if he's about to cry.....or he may just be bored :p

Definitely has better impact cropped!

Most reactions

Back