Its that time of year again (family portrait overload)

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been blessed to be busy this season with some really amazing families. I have so many favorites I had a hard time narrowing down what to share. It has been a long time since I have posted client work... so, thanks for looking :)

2014-11-22_0001.jpg

2014-11-22_0002.jpg

2014-11-22_0003.jpg

2014-11-22_0004.jpg

2014-11-22_0005.jpg

2014-11-22_0006.jpg

2014-11-22_0007.jpg

2014-11-22_0008.jpg

2014-11-22_0009.jpg

2014-11-22_0010.jpg

full sessions on the blog

Your style has really emerged,evolved, and solidified over the last couple years. Beautiful pictures, Paige.

Damned good Paige. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I'll admit I'm not particularly fond of the underexposed backlit look; at least not all the time, but many of these are very nicely done. Obviously this look is popular these days and what a lot of people want. I think many effects work better done sparingly.

Something seems a little off (at least partly how they're showing up on here, something like the girl's dress that's leopard print - up close they look like squares but clicked and enlarged they look like spots as they should). But to me though the color looks a bit overdone in some, such as in the skin tones; the sky is white but in a few they look almost made up. On your site some look somewhat soft, so maybe it depends on where they're posted they might look different in quality.

Some of the grayscale too look somewhat off, almost harsh but yet not black and white, to me they seem noticeably processed which I think can overpower the image itself.

I'd think about vantage point and framing; the posed shots are done nicely and you're getting some wonderful facial expressions, in others there is plenty of space above heads but fingertips or feet cropped off. In some of the shots like kids playing there are distractions that if framed differently or from a slightly different vantage point might have been out of the frame and could have made for cleaner compositions. You seem to do well interacting with your subjects, they look like they're having fun.

I'll admit I'm not particularly fond of the underexposed backlit look; at least not all the time, but many of these are very nicely done. Obviously this look is popular these days and what a lot of people want. I think many effects work better done sparingly.

Something seems a little off (at least partly how they're showing up on here, something like the girl's dress that's leopard print - up close they look like squares but clicked and enlarged they look like spots as they should). But to me though the color looks a bit overdone in some, such as in the skin tones; the sky is white but in a few they look almost made up. On your site some look somewhat soft, so maybe it depends on where they're posted they might look different in quality.

Some of the grayscale too look somewhat off, almost harsh but yet not black and white, to me they seem noticeably processed which I think can overpower the image itself.

I'd think about vantage point and framing; the posed shots are done nicely and you're getting some wonderful facial expressions, in others there is plenty of space above heads but fingertips or feet cropped off. In some of the shots like kids playing there are distractions that if framed differently or from a slightly different vantage point might have been out of the frame and could have made for cleaner compositions. You seem to do well interacting with your subjects, they look like they're having fun.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I will have to start out by disagreeing with you, none of these images are underexposed. Maybe you don't like the way I chose to expose them. But they are not underexposed. I am not sure what you mean about "made up sky...I don't add skies, what you see is what you get :p. As far as editing goes, it is definitely my thing. I do it my way and I do it the way I like it :D Not trying to be snobby but in this biz you gotta have a hard attitude and not loose yourself in the opinions of others. I shoot and edit from the heart (with a lot of technical knowledge behind). My clients view me as an artist not a rule follower.

I'm not sure how you could look at my images and make a comment about how I need to think about vantage points and framing. I think honestly, you are just not a fan of my work. And you know what, that is okay. I don't claim to be perfect at anything, and I am by far my own worst critic; but when people ask my advice on photography and editing, you know what I say? Stop caring. Love what you do and so will others. My best work is when I loose myself in shooting/editing not when I think about that finger chop there or that fly away hair. Photography is about memories and moments for me, not perfection.

Obviously we all want perfection and I can see the value in not cropping limbs. I just put higher value on other things, like the "feeling" of the image

Number 7 FTW... That image is great!
Thank you! That is one of my favorite client images ever! :D
Number 2, the black and white one - awesome conversion! Same for #10. Great job!
Thanks Forkie :)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I like all of the sets that you added and I'm sure the families were all very happy. I like your style a lot and think you did an excellent job.

Personally, I don't see how anyone could say these are underexposed. If anything (and I'm definitely not saying they are!) they would lean towards the overexposed side - but, as I said, I don't feel like they are at all. The little boy in the red flannel and the family in front of the camper are my favorite sets. All beautiful, though! Great job. I love your style

#2 sucks.

Nice Paige.. You kick ass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back