Ive been asked to photograph a gig! Im scared!!!

manda

instigator of pottymouthedness
Reaction score
Website
www.lyptonvillage.org
Help!
A guy found my radiohead photographs on an Aussie rock music forum and emailed me to ask me to come see the band he manages play and shoot them!
Im scared as hell because I know nothing about lighting and spot meters and all that technical stuff, I just know how to work with the lights a little.
Im scared of stuffing this up.

I so need a teacher to help me before now and then!
I'll be much closer than I was at Radiohead and worried I will get crap shots.

Ugh!!!!!

Don't panic, don't panic!!! Remind yourself you've done this before - and if you can, go out and make practice runs at other shows between now and then. If you liked your shots from Radiohead, try to copy them by moving back, and ALL around the room. Bring a stool so you can shoot over people's heads from the back, middle, and sides.

Gosh, the ones I've done for my friends' bands have all turned out, but I'd be freaked too, if someone tried to hire me. So I understand perfectly, but I'm sure you'll do fine. Ask if they want anything in particular, like make sure to get a close-up of the drummer (always left out it seems) or just an overview of the band going at it. And how many shots? If you shoot all night I'm positive you'll end up with enough at the end of the night that are quite good. Good for you, your stuff has been noticed! :cheer:

Woo! That's wonderful, Manda!

Just shoot a lot and don't worry about getting every one bang-on. Weed out the ones that don't work for you before showing them the proofs. I personally wouldn't show them more than a couple dozen or so, even if you shoot many rolls. If you show them only the best, they won't be numbed by the so-so images.

Make sure you get a release so that you can use the images yourself. Check out the "for hire" rules in your area. If you don't have a specific contract, they may end up with the rights and the copyright, even if you took the images. That isn't normally the case for a photographer, but once payment for hire comes into the picture things change. That's why wedding photographers have very specific contracts that must be signed.

Work out ahead of time what they expect. They may want every picture you took. Make sure you get compensated well if they are asking for a lot. Don't worry about not being a "professional". Every photographer deserves compensation for their work.

You also need to have on paper what they can use the images for. If you retain copyright, they need permission to use the images for ads, flyers, album covers, etc.

Knock 'em dead!

Awesome, Manda!
(WOW - she looks just like KD Lang!)

Excellent advice, Mark. Just remember that you're good a this. You're VERY good. You can do something very well that a very small percentage of people on the planet can even TRY. And Mark is right about not showing them the crap - it's the professional thing to do. EVERY photographer culls the garbage. The fact of the matter is, they're not ALL gonna come out the way you wanted.

Hell, I've seen MANY, MANY customers pick out fotos that were just aweful - simply because they don't know any better. The people that are hiring you probably don't know as much as you do about photography - they just want their band to look good.

Congratulations manda...all the very best!

Manda, that is awesome. You have a lot of great concert shots, so it's nice to know that someone out there is noticing. Don't freak out!! Stay calm, talk to the guy to see what he is really wanting from you, then just have some fun!

Galaxy_Stranger said:
(WOW - she looks just like KD Lang!)

Actually, that's Bono, Manda's true love. Manda looks like Drew Barrymore. :)

It is true, and when Manda's hair is (was) shorter she looks even more like Drew. Had to laugh about the KD Lang comment. But I do see the resemblance in the picture of Bono. :lol:

Manda, that's great news! You can do it! And I guess you won't have to worry about getting caught with your camera at the concert, since someone's asking you to take the pics!

KD Lang?!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks for all your comments guys. Its not as big as I think you think. Its not a paying gig or anything like that.
Its good exposure and practise and its the first time someone has actually asked me to do something, so Im honoured.
I wont need to obtain a press pass or anything like that. Its a small gig.
Im more concerned about how I should set it up.
I'll most likely shoot digital as I don't trust myself yet with film. Not for a show Ive been asked to do anyway.
I need someone to show me how to read spot meters properly. :(

Manda, you will do great. I checked out your site and your Radiohead pics are really good. Don't let !he fact that you were asked to do this freak you out. You will do just fine. You always do. :D

Nukie - go with Manda please.

oriecat said:
Manda looks like Drew Barrymore. :)
I'm glad I read this thread because I would have missed out on that important information. :wink:

Don't worry about the photo gig manda. Your Radiohead pictures turned out great. It sounds like a lot fun and I hope you have a great time doing it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back