What's new

I've been wanting to ask about monopods...

Saddlebreds4me

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
235
Reaction score
0
Location
New Hampshire
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I received a monopod for Christmas and I tried to play with it once but I was really uncomfortable with it especially because when I have my 80-200 lens on there plus the weight of the camera body - I just don't want to drop it. I know those magnets are strong but I still don't trust them.

Having said that, I need to find something - A couple of weeks ago I was a horse show for one full day of classes - that was on a Saturday, on Sunday I had to try to convince my Basset Hounds that they had to walk themselves and get my coffee because my shoulders hurt so badly after holding that up all day - 2700 photos later...I was cooked - physically done.

My monopod is made by Trek - I know I've got to get comfortable with using something or else it's off to the gym for some shoulder strengthening.

Thanks!
 
The camera is only held to the monopod by magnets?

I don't think I would trust it either. I'd get something that physically attaches to the camera...
 
It's strange - unless I'm doing something totally wrong. When I put this together, there was an adapter I screwed into the bottom of the camera body but when I went to put it on the monopod it appeared that the only way I could use it was to rely on the magnetic force between the two.

Ummm, I just spent two arms and two legs on this body and my two lenses, and I like to keep them in tact thankyouverymuch ;) - I think I might go a different route. And I know this particular monopod came recommended from many users so that's why I'm wondering if I am doing something incorrectly.

Thanks for the response!
 
Is the brand Trek-tech? Have you called the manufacturer with this issue? Perhaps there is a part missing or something. Personally, I wouldn't want a magnet anywhere near my cf or sdhc cards. It would wipe them out easily. Good luck. :)
 
Is the brand Trek-tech? Have you called the manufacturer with this issue? Perhaps there is a part missing or something. Personally, I wouldn't want a magnet anywhere near my cf or sdhc cards. It would wipe them out easily. Good luck. :)

Mindy - yes, it's a Trek Pod made by Trek Tech - and that's a really good point regarding the magnets - I wonder why they made it that way knowing that the magnets may have a such an adverse effect on the cards....I will contact them and find out.

Thank you for the response!
 
I've never heard of a magnetic camera mount either...
I just checked out their web site and it says there is also a locking clip that secures your camera to the MagMount.
Are you using the clip mentioned?
 
Wow...

I wouldn't even think about putting my camera on something like that. Positive locking for me is a must.

The monopod (less ball head) my kids bought me two years ago. It's always in the truck with me at the least.
 
Magnets?.... with your gear?..... I wouldn't trust it either.

I got a Manfrotto 685B and a swivel head that works great with D300/D700, long lens and flash attached. It has pneumatic action, so it's a one hand operation to raise and lower.

For a look, clicky.
 
thanks for the link
clear.gif
 
Thanks for all of the suggestions - I will probably be looking into other makes - as I need one badly...but not so much on the magnets...oh and to the poster who asked me if I was using the clip? I honestly tried to, reading the directions and everything (I HATE reading directions...) but don't think I ever got it quite right and like I said, I was not going to chance it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom