John sees everything

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I respect your opinions, max, but for clarification, Dave Hill's images are much smoother, and would be impossible without strobes. Every single one of his photographs with his signature look on his website is in color.

I was not trying to emulate Dave Hill, Joey Lawrence, or anyone for that matter. If I were, it would look more plasticly and would be in color with at least a single key light and would have kickers on each side of him. I recognized the advantages of the HDR process into revealing more detail in landscapes and cityscapes and applied it to portraits. I've never seen an HDR portrait photograph processes similar to what i've done to this extreme.

This is like selective coloring, some like it, some hate it.

You're absolutely right about Hill, and I meant my commentary on the style to be separate from your shot itself, which I think is good. He does indeed require strobes, and does minimal HDR as far as I know. I understand what you're going for now, though I don't quite think you've pulled it off. I have seen similar results from the Dragan process without the use of HDR. Perhaps it is possible for you to truly step-up the effect by combining the existing processing workflow with HDR, but I don't think it's come across quite so extraordinarily here, if you understand what I mean.

You're absolutely right about Hill, and I meant my commentary on the style to be separate from your shot itself, which I think is good. He does indeed require strobes, and does minimal HDR as far as I know. I understand what you're going for now, though I don't quite think you've pulled it off. I have seen similar results from the Dragan process without the use of HDR. Perhaps it is possible for you to truly step-up the effect by combining the existing processing workflow with HDR, but I don't think it's come across quite so extraordinarily here, if you understand what I mean.
I know exactly what you mean about Dragen, and he's just out of this world, amazing portrait artist.

It still needs a bunch of developing, next month I plan to be able to do more portraits and am defiantly going to work with it more. I know what I can do with it for landscapes, but portraits are different because skin is specular and diffused at the same time.

I like the shot. I feel like it just jumps out at me. I would also like to see the original, just for comparison.

Diggin this one. Love the mood you got with this. :thumbup::thumbup:

This PP is very impressive, overused or not. It will look good to any buyers if you plan on selling this print/ prints like this.

BTW I don't believe it's sharp enough. The DOF is too shallow, which is slightly blurring his hair/forehead/eyes. Dunno if that's what you intended but it's atypical of the style.

Thanks for the comments!

I don't remember if it was intentional or not. All I know is that it was shot at f/8 with my 24-120. I did this almost a year ago :???:

Do you other works you want to post? I haven't seen much from you lately.

Do you other works you want to post? I haven't seen much from you lately.
I haven't done hardly any personal work in the last 4 months. Most of what I've done lately is client-based stuff, and I can't show that here without permission. :er:

reminds me of the sabattier effect done in a dark room... fad or no fad, i haven't seen it done enough times to be annoyed by it.. so as of now. i like it =)

it's nice to see this style editing once in a while. personally not my style, but refreshing none the less.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think it's pretty cool:thumbup:
I so wish i had your skills on editing pics...i dont own any photoshop software or anything in that class..only the Neat image that i hardly understand at all even though some say it's a very easy to use:blushing:
Anyways i like that pic a lot and belive you have done an excellent job on it.

Most reactions

Back