altho it follows the rule of thirds, it seems to ignore other guidelines of composition (maybe intentionally?) such as balance (arrangement of shapes, colors, or areas of light and dark that complement ), avoiding mergers (black material looks like its growing outside her head), and busy background.
I think 2WheelPhoto pretty much said it but my initial impression was that the picture was awkward - and I still think so.
At the time I said that I was completely unaware of your
absolute requirement that commenters study your every image and provide a full exegesis upon pain of being ignored.
Enforcing that requirement must keep you quite busy.
And then when you said:
Interesting... I guess all that talk about the "rule of thirds" is kind of a waste of time then?
I was just dumbfounded.
Perhaps, I thought, you had confused '
position' with
'composition' (The manner in which such parts are combined or related.) and so you thought that if you placed some parts of the subject on the 'thirds' that would make the picture work.
Well, I really think that
composition is really more than that. I think that, to appeal to the viewer, the picture must be coherent, all the parts fitting together in a way that creates a total impression to the viewer.
I look at this picture and see what seems to be a disembodied head lying at an angle surrounded by various intensely colored cloths in shades that pull the eye. Because they are so vivid the edges and folds create lines that lead the eye, at arbitrary angles, away from the subject.
Perhaps if the cloths were in muted tones like the ones that cover where her neck might be, they would pull the eye less. Even if they would have been in colors that coordinated with or reinforced the only natural color in her face - her eyes - they might meld better - but these colors, not so much.
Then, out of nowhere a hand appears - it looks very hairy to me but that might be an illusion because it might be
underwater - the
only place that water does appear. So we have a hand appearing out of nowhere - untied to anything but underwater. Not even the long graceful fingers but the meaty knuckles and the hand is brighter than her face - and on the third. Does that make it important?
You've cropped this into a 5 x 4 landscape seemingly to be able to include the hand and that also traps some other bright, non-contributory spaces in the upper right that are un-managed.
And, of course the tear (?) running down her left cheek and the dribble from her lip.
That was why I called it awkward.
Since you took 250 words to tell me you were ignoring me, I can't imagine what you'll write now.