Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Here 6 photos of the July 4th fireowks, taken from the Coral Springs Country Club in Florida.
Any C&C would be appreciated.

Thanks all, and have a great night.

$4.jpg

$13.jpg

$21.jpg

$22.jpg

$28.jpg

$30.jpg

The lights in the foreground are a huge distraction.

Yes Sir, they are. Unfortunately I could not turn them off (photos taken on a golf course behind a water trap at a country club), but if you feel it is necessary, I can always "turn them off" in photoshop :).

Yes Sir, they are. Unfortunately I could not turn them off (photos taken on a golf course behind a water trap at a country club), but if you feel it is necessary, I can always "turn them off" in photoshop :).

Or, you could crop............

Looking back at them, I'm torn. Yes the lights are a distraction, but at the same time, they add depth to the images, no?

This is the second set of fireworks photos I have seen on here with lights in it.

I love the lights, they give context. They echo the light in the sky but with different shapes and colors. They ground the fireworks in the real world.

More fireworks against a pure black background is not something the world needs more of. We have millions (literally) of these photographs, they all look the same. There is no benefit to doing it as an exercise, since fireworks present a sui generis problem -- practicing with fireworks teaches you exactly nothing except how to shoot fireworks.

Fireworks in context, well, now we might have something. Fireworks are a compositional element of a larger image, we might have something.

I like these, they're nice.

This is the second set of fireworks photos I have seen on here with lights in it.

I love the lights, they give context. They echo the light in the sky but with different shapes and colors. They ground the fireworks in the real world.

More fireworks against a pure black background is not something the world needs more of. We have millions (literally) of these photographs, they all look the same. There is no benefit to doing it as an exercise, since fireworks present a sui generis problem -- practicing with fireworks teaches you exactly nothing except how to shoot fireworks.

Fireworks in context, well, now we might have something. Fireworks are a compositional element of a larger image, we might have something.

I like these, they're nice.

Thanks Amolitor. Did you notice the silhouette of the people in the the first image?

Tight Knot said:
Looking back at them, I'm torn. Yes the lights are a distraction, but at the same time, they add depth to the images, no?

For me, much more distraction than depth. Thankfully, due to your settings, there isn't much spill past the secular highlights. They should be easy to clone out.

Number 5 is my favorite, by far.

Next time you get a chance, you might consider filling more of the frame with the fireworks. The foreground doesn't add much interest, IMO.

Since the foreground light is inevitably there, i changed my viewing; instead of thinking them to be fireworks, i took them to be some brilliant colorful trees...then every thing turned OK; you cannot compromise on those reflections too ;)

Since the foreground light is inevitably there, i changed my viewing; instead of thinking them to be fireworks, i took them to be some brilliant colorful trees...then every thing turned OK; you cannot compromise on those reflections too ;)

Thanks Frequency.

I love the light in the trees, because it really does give much more of a sense of depth.
The actual lights themselves, I more than likely should tone them down a bit, as they can be distracting being so bright.

Tight Knot said:

For me, much more distraction than depth. Thankfully, due to your settings, there isn't much spill past the secular highlights. They should be easy to clone out.

Number 5 is my favorite, by far.

Next time you get a chance, you might consider filling more of the frame with the fireworks. The foreground doesn't add much interest, IMO.

Thanks James,
I'm going to try and tone the lights down a bit to see how it looks, but I really do feel the surroundings add a lot to the shots. I find that fireworks shot without some type of surrounding are waaaaay toooo flat.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back