What's new

Junk King...

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
12,983
Reaction score
5,003
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
13985294832_d66cc2126b_o_d.jpg



Spent some time visiting the Junk King today.

It's a real treat, and a real test for a photographer.
How the heck do you capture the feel and scale of his Junk Castle?
You are constantly asking yourself, when to use small apertures, when to use large...everything was sooo cluttered, sooo busy! What to capture? The small tiny details? The grand scheme of it all? In between? From which angle? My god! What's important?! All of it? None of it? Auuuuurgh!

I'll post some of my favorites, over time, to not overwhelm you.
I'll throw in some "record shots", neat, but not fantastic, just to help convey the feel of the place.

You have to schedule time to go, and my friend scheduled Noon. Noon! So on top of an overwhelming subject, it was horrible, horrible light, extreme ranges, and dappled sunlight. :er:


13965406936_f90032bb73_b_d.jpg






13985337591_6ce0c64d13_b_d.jpg






13985302972_2c5e33173c_b_d.jpg
 
Last edited:
I think you're doing it justice. However, given the nature of the place, and your reaction to it, a collage seems to be the appropriate way to give the flavour of what you see there. And we're not talking everything fits into neat little rectangles on the level collage. As for the light - embrace the harshness, and the dappled light actually gives a pretty good metaphor for what's good, what's junk, what's neither here nor there...
 
A collage is an interesting proposal, given that is exactly what the subject matter is.
 
Rubber ducks. Two ways.


13988945864_5e5326158c_b_d.jpg






13988945994_068623d82d_b_d.jpg
 
Last edited:
From the yellow section...

I took lots of shots, looking for the best capture of this area. I scrapped a lot of them.
Favorite first:

13985334791_9b95b98c68_b_d.jpg


Second favorite. I like the organization here, but I love the wider view above.


13988949914_c8b6c0d709_o_d.jpg


And third...

I wish I framed with a little more space on the left of the fridge.
I should probably clone out that leaf. Why didn't I see that? :lmao:

13988515095_4a429496fb_o_d.jpg
 
What an interesting day you had. You've got some good photos there, really like the portrait of the "King".
 
My favorite is the picture of the King himself!!! I really liked the others too though! What an interesting place...how long were you able to stay there? I feel like it'd take HOURS to look around and find the real treasures!!!
 
We stayed about an hour and half.
It's seriously overwhelming.
You can stay as long as you want.


13985329031_67fee6c996_o_d.jpg




13985298272_7ba7de6b99_b_d.jpg





13985298532_4c60410f4a_b_d.jpg
 
Well, I'm starting to feel a little better about my own place. Thank you!
 
How cool. I can certainly see why you would feel overwhelmed there. So much to see. I agree with CourtSC...my favorite is the picture of the King himself.
 
This has made a really great thread. Great pictures. Thanks Bitter
 
My pleasure, Mr. Hippy!

This one has a foreground frame in focus, but the bulk of the image is beyond it. I was hoping it would convey the sense of being there, struggling to see what is in front of you, while being drawn to what lies beyond. While blurred, the items beyond are still recognizable, and iconic. I think, if I used deeper DoF, you would just face a ton of stuff to look and, and lose the sense of looking through. Alternatively, I could have focused on the back, and blurred the front. Decisions! What would you do?


14008504923_e787fa4089_b_d.jpg
 
I think I would just get the heck out of there. I refuse to watch "Hoarders; Buried Alive".

As to this shot, I think you have made the best choice regarding focus.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom