Just a couple sunsets

Aloicious

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographywild.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just looking through a folder from earlier this month, found a couple I thought I'd work on. just a couple sunset shots thought I'd share 'em.

interesting side note, the beach you see in these, isn't sand, its salt. and its not like a whole bunch of grains of salt that you can build a salt castle with, its all crystalized together and rock hard, like salty pavement. heh

Stansbury4_zpsbf2042f1.jpg

Stansbury2_zps96940710.jpg

Gorgeous sky! In the first one, I might have thought the beach looked a little odd, but I'd never have guessed the second was anything other than the typical sandy beach.
I've never been to Utah; are these around the Great Salt Lake? Or is that kind of occurrence common out there?

Nice shots, the sky's look epic IMO. Iv come across salt beaches before have a memory of running across one bare foot once. . . wont be trying that again in a hurry.

Gorgeous sky! In the first one, I might have thought the beach looked a little odd, but I'd never have guessed the second was anything other than the typical sandy beach.
I've never been to Utah; are these around the Great Salt Lake? Or is that kind of occurrence common out there?

Thanks Sharon! yeah these are at the north west end of Stansbury Island which is in the Great Salt Lake. the salt is common in some places around the salt lake, and there are salt flats out west of the lake (the Bonneville salt flats, where they do land speed racing at) but its not something thats common throughout the state or anything. its somewhat sporatic too where the salt collects, even ~1 mile down the shoreline from where these shots were taken, its just sand/mud...if I can find it, I've got a pic somewhere of the salt from this area collecting and coating a rock, its not a great photographically (i.e. artistic) image, but its interesting to look at from an unusual and science point of view.

Nice shots, the sky's look epic IMO. Iv come across salt beaches before have a memory of running across one bare foot once. . . wont be trying that again in a hurry.

Thanks, yeah living in a desert that borders a few odd lakes can make for some crazy skies out here. you're crazy to run on the salt! that stuff is sharp, and if you cut yourself...ouch, instant salt in your wound...heh

Nice shots! The first one looks like it's the end of the world :p

Nice shots! The first one looks like it's the end of the world :p

Thanks! heh it does kindof look like something is detonating on the horizon...that land on the other side of those far mountains is a huge military land parcel, so maybe they just WANT us to think its a sunset heh. :crazy: :lol:

Very Nice, i wonder why there is very few sunrise photo`s, maybe nobody can be bothered to get out of bed.:mrgreen:

John.

Very nice pictures! I heard that the GSL smells horrid- is that true?

Thanks everyone!

Very nice pictures! I heard that the GSL smells horrid- is that true?

it depends on the time of year and where you're at, but yeah it can. its far saltier than the ocean (salinity of the GSL ranges from ~5% to the mid 20%'s vs the ocean which is around 3.5%), so it's got an odd ecosystem associated with it.

Here's that picture of the rock on the shore coated in the salt crystals I was talking about before...the whole shoreline at this part of the lake is like this...even in pic #2 you can see the 'waves' of salt on the beach, they're solidified rock solid like that, I even walked along the 'waves' and it held my 200lb+ weight without a problem. kinda crazy.

saltrock_zps74c71d40.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back