Just a little Flakey...

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Landscape images are not my strength, but I am trying.

This image I am really happy with, and feel it has quite a bit of impact.
Does it need the top cropped down a little?

4235416108_4943747450_o.jpg

#2 here could be stronger, but I am not sure how to get it there. Lose the sky and the weed on the right and crop it to put the structure in the upper left?
4234640803_e87335efb0_o.jpg

#3 is my least favorite. I find the cut off lamp post awkward. The longer exposure softens the flying snow. While it gives a little sense of speed and direction, I just don't find it as strong an element as in #1 where it gives more of a sense of quantity and presence.

4234786165_d16aab76d0_o.jpg

What think you?

Nice shots! I really like 1 and 3... 1 could probably lose a bit off the top, but then you'd lose the aspect ratio... In #3 i love the icicles coming off the wharf... but see what you're saying about the lamp post... have you tried to shop it out and see how that looks?

I love #3, those ice formations are awesome. I guess I'd try to photoshop out the lampost as mJs said...

I'm new so take it for what it's worth:

1. I really like this one but would crop about 5% off the top. Probably crop about a third of the space between the highest bird and the top of the photo.

2. I like it but it's not my fav.

3. I really like this one too. Too bad you didn't step back a bunch of feet so that last lamp post wasn't decapitated. You could always photoshop it out.

The photos look great!

Things that bug me though...

1) It seems like there is a smudged line going down through the path of the pier, it must be the wind blowing or some mist though, but I would maybe burn that a bit so it's not so noticeable maybe?

2) I really like it with just the rocks being the bottom border (maybe photoshop the standing weed out with that)

3) Yea the lone pole is annoying but it's a great shot, maybe just crop to the right of it?

I really like these shots though, very soothing!

I love #1-
I like #2

How cold was it when you took these? I like the icicles in the 3rd.

BTW-- Where were these taken?

#1 is my favorite. I like the sense of motion and I can feel the wind and cold. The birds in the sky really give me a sense of the distance and gives the shot added depth. Nice capture!

Thanks for sharing! You had to have gotten frozen out there getting those shots.

:p loving the first one... but like everyone said, take a bit off the top. haha i really should work on my landscape photography D:

i'm just wondering... did you shoot with a covering over your camera? i took mine out to hopefully get a few shots with the snow falling... came back with no keepers and a wet camera... D: maybe i should invest in a weather proof covering... or cut up a plastic bag.

i like #1 a lot, bitter.
i think you should leave it as is. like keith said, the birds help the shot. i see them struggling against what seems to be a brutally cold wind.

man im cold looking at these. brrrrrrr.

nicely done.

I'm new so take it for what it's worth:

1. I really like this one but would crop about 5% off the top. Probably crop about a third of the space between the highest bird and the top of the photo.

2. I like it but it's not my fav.

3. I really like this one too. Too bad you didn't step back a bunch of feet so that last lamp post wasn't decapitated. You could always photoshop it out.

I'll post up a new crop of #1. I was mainly cropping to maintain aspect ratio. I don't know why I resist cropping as I see fit and just keep with the ratio.

#3 I had more of it in, but the end/stairs of it weren't workin' for me so I had to crop them out...but that caused another problem, heh.

clbd39, aw, I liked the smudged/glowy line you see. It is from the ice and the snow blowing off there. Cropping to the right of the pole in #3 will lose some of the Icicles...

Mostly Sunny, it was 28 degrees. Taken at Edgewater Park, on Lake Erie in Clevleand Ohio.

Keith, I was prepaired for the cold, just taking my gloves off as necessary. I was out there for my kite clubs New Year's Day Kite Fly. There is something fun anout flying kites while it's snowing...

Patrick, no, I didn't cover the camera. I kept in in a plastic bag while adjusting to temperature changes though. Once it was cold enough, the snow pretty much just bounce off the lense and camera, which has a weather resistant body, and I believe the lens does too. I was also doing some pinhole shots that day too.

SrBiscuit...Yay, I captured the feel!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go work on some re-edits.

I love the third shot and the row of lights above the railings.

Three is the best one. This type of shot with the strong horizontal line of the pier is naturally a pano.
If you had included the first light post in its entirety it would be a stronger shot still.
You could clone out what is left...but not really the same.
The weeds in the foreground of all the shots are a major negative point.
Yes 1 could work if you cropped down from the top, but still the weeds in the foreground kind of kill it. The birds in the top are not a strong enough element to add to the photo.
2 is not as good.
Three is a very cool shot....just a couple issues. Nice job on the exposure and processing.

Three is the best one. This type of shot with the strong horizontal line of the pier is naturally a pano.
If you had included the first light post in its entirety it would be a stronger shot still.
You could clone out what is left...but not really the same.
The weeds in the foreground of all the shots are a major negative point.
Yes 1 could work if you cropped down from the top, but still the weeds in the foreground kind of kill it. The birds in the top are not a strong enough element to add to the photo.
2 is not as good.
Three is a very cool shot....just a couple issues. Nice job on the exposure and processing.

Gonna have to agree with you. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back