Just a note about the photography business in general...

What do you mean by perceived value? Just what people view my work as being worth..?

Pretty much. You're selling something intangible with no defined standards. It's like any other art related products and services, you're worth as much as people want to pay. So you need to do everything in your power to make people believe that you're worth much more. So being confident and believe that your work is worth the asking price is part of building the perceived value. How you dress, how you answer emails, your portfolio, your Facebook page, the words you use, etc are all part of building your perceived value. Not everyone will value what you do but you only need a certain number of people to.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, you all made me feel a bit better.

I also have another full time job.. Photography is part time for me, so that's why I *can* charge $50/hour and be just fine.

However, I will start charging more. I am worth something dammit!

You go girl! No wait... come back. Ok no, just kidding.. GO!

Lol

It's a funny world. Some folks are firmly convinced that the quality of what you will receive is based on price, so some folks will pay much more for the same service even if it's not necessarily any better just because they think if it costs more it must be better.

This^

Anyhow, If someone is willing to pay that person $3,000, I'm sure there is someone who is willing to pay you $100 0r $200 per hr or more. So I would raise my rates, at least double it.

Anyhow, If someone is willing to pay that person $3,000, I'm sure there is someone who is willing to pay you $100 0r $200 per hr or more. So I would raise my rates, at least double it.

IMHO, there's a lot more than just being cheaper...

IMHO, there's a lot more than just being cheaper...

Can you elaborate ?

Can you elaborate ?

There are many business models and you have to decide. Do you want to focus on price or exceptional services? Do you want to be know as the cheap brand or luxury brand? There's a market for everyone, and I personally believe that you should not focus on pricing but more in brand building. Provide clients with an experience. Everyone can take "good" photos these days but not everyone can provide a unique experience. Set yourself apart by selling the experience instead of focus on being cheaper. I bet you that other photographer doesn't care if everyone else is cheaper than her.

Last edited:
I don't have set rates, I charge what I know the clients are willing to pay me. I've got experience and am good with a camera, I'm consistent with the images I produce. I have set fees on my stock images, and they are based on competitive rates with other agencies. If someone is charging $3000/hour, they had better be flawless, but also remember a lot of photographers are big on stories. They create a perception of always being busy, always making money, not always true. I work around a large group of freelancers. The perception among them is that I'm making a fortune with my camera, the reality is that I'm not.

If I was wanting to charge based on my skills and experience, I'd never be working. It's all about the field of photography and what clients have to pay. If you're comfortable charging $50/hour right now and feel that anything more would add stress, then don't charge more. Photography is an amazing hobby, until it becomes a job, and then it is work, and with work comes all the pressures same as any other job. Some of my best shoots are ones I do for myself, and I don't get stressed shooting for clients any more.

One additional thing. Just because someone says they are charging $3000/hour, or $500/hour doesn't mean that everyone should be trying to charge that amount. It doesn't mean that if you are charging $50/hour and someone says you should be charging $150/hour that you should. Charge what you are comfortable with.

Can you elaborate ?

There are many business models and you have to decide. Do you want to focus on price or exceptional services? Do you want to be know as the cheap brand or luxury brand? There's a market for everyone, and I personally believe that you should not focus on pricing but more in brand building. Provide clients with an experience. Everyone can take "good" photos these days but not everyone can provide a unique experience. Set yourself apart by selling the experience instead of focus on being cheaper. I bet you that other photographer doesn't care if everyone else is cheaper than her.

This is good stuff.

Exactly, do you want to run a McDonalds serving cheap food to high volume crowds at Walmart or moderately priced quality food in a fine dining restaurant? It's like you said, anyone can take a good photo, but people do judge quality based on price. This is not to say you should focus on the price. Instead, I agree with you whole heartily on working to establish a brand and providing clients with an experience or story. I just think at $50/hr, the OP isn't charging enough if their looking to make photography their primary business.

I know someone who charges $20K for weddings for what others could only charge maybe $2K for. He and his wife made their way into that market, partially by design and - more than likely, mostly - by luck.

You can only charge what your market can sustain, and more often than not this has nothing to do with quality. In fact, over time, these photographers I'm talking about have declined in quality over the years and have become somewhat formula.

They still charge 20K.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back