Just a quick Q about jewellery camera....

angelkelly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey,
I've done alot of research on the type of camera I need to take pictures of my Jewellery, but also something that would be good for general use.. parties/ baby pics etc

I've pretty much decided on the Nikon COOLPIX 4300
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25507

maily due to the pre-set white balance and what I think is an OK aperture range

...and thought I'd just ask for the professionals opinions first before I commit to buying it.

I have a light tent, studio lights and studio stands etc. Do you think this will be a good enough camera to take pics of jewellery? Its for web pics only, so they wont need to be hugely enlarged. If you can recommend another camera in and around the same price bracket that suits my purpose please do.

Thanks in advance for any replies!:D

Personally, I feel that just about all the "digi-cams" are pretty much the same.

What kind of studio lights to you have? Are they strobes? because if they are, you many need a way to trigger them.

Be aware that jewellry is best lit by reflected rather than direct lighting as any photo book will also tell you.

skieur

Thanks for the reply guys!

I have continous studio lights with daylight bulbs. Pretty standard kit really.

I tend to have 2 shining on to the tent from the outside and one dazzler light at the front, although I am experimenting with bouncing the light, thank you for that suggestion!... hence why I need a new camera... as the old one was dropped whilst trying to get some good looking pics (nothing special thankfully :lol:).

Thought I'd post here and ask just incase any of you really hate that camera or dont think it takes good photos etc...

Thanks again for the replies, this really is a top notch site!

You might want to consider the macro performance of this camera as well...Will if allow close-ups that are sharp enough for your liking? It seems that if you want to shoot jewelry, you'll want to be able to get nice, sharp closeups of the detail in the piece.

Thanks Lefty!

Would you recommend any cameras good for macro shots?

I could then use these to compare specs against others... as technically speaking I dont have a clue - but as long as some numbers are bigger than others I know I'm OK :lol:

Most reactions

Back