just a thought

Rapala46

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
rapala46.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a thought here, but if i scanned my negatives onto my computer using a regular computer scanner and then inverted the colors on my computer.....would i be able to get those pictures?

Sure! You can print them out easily and with good quality if you save as a TIFF file. You just want to make sure you have a good photo printer, and use pigmented (archival) inks on good quality inkjet paper.

That said, this isn't an alternative photographic technique, so I'll move this thread to the General Q&A. :lol:

do you already have a scanner. Some scanners cant scan negatives... To get a negative scan right you need a scanner that has top light.... Most of the time they come with a plastic piece you place you negatives in and then there is a button or something like that that turn on the top light while the bottom scanner runs thru... It more or less projects the negative onto the scanner...

If you have scanner that doesnt have this feature you could use an external light to light the top of the negative while you scan it... a small soft box would be ideal...

Just a suggestion if you are looking for a scanner... i would recommend the Canon Canonscan 5000F it will scan negatives and do the inversion for you. It will also scan slides the same way.... And of course normal prints

Rapala46 said:
Just a thought here, but if i scanned my negatives onto my computer using a regular computer scanner and then inverted the colors on my computer.....would i be able to get those pictures?

It doesn't normally work unless you've got a scanner attachment for negatives. Otherwise you'll just get a really bad image of a black bit of film. Some scanners are better than others, but generally there needs to be a light source at the back or at least some kind of mirror arrangement.

Rob

there are dedicated film/slide scanners out there too. Something I hope to be in the market for at some point but I do not have any reccomendations on one yet. Maybe someone here can offer some suggestions?

When using a flatbed, you'll also want to use a negative carrier so the negative isn't right on the glass; otherwise you'll get Newton rings on the scan.

I think a dedicated negative/slide scanner is the best way to go, as I feel scanning prints is useless for anything other than web images. Even then you end up missing a lot of exposure information you could get from a negative. Unless you have a real need for scanning prints, there's not much need for a flatbed.

orangetree said:
I thought i did give a good resource for a scanner and

why would you get newton rings from a negative when the negative is flat?

Am i invisible?

I was referring to a source for a dedicated slide/film scanner. I did not mean to gloss over your post, I was just steering the OP in a different direction and thought someone with experience with a dedicated film scanner could offer some suggestions.

I have a flatbed currently but feel that going from negative to print to scan is losing some info along the way.

The CanoScan series include a negative carrier as well as one for slides (The 8400F does anyway). A scanner like this, i.e. a flatbed designed to take negatives, will let you view and enlarge the image on the neg but obviously the quality will not be as good as with a dedicated film scanner. On the other hand, the flatbeds tend to be cheaper and of course don't limit you to scanning film. I guess it depends on what you're planning to do with the image once it's scanned. Anyway I'll try and post some examples of negs scanned on my flatbed later on so you can see for yourself.

Image scanned from 35mm colour negative at 3200dpi; resized and converted to jpeg for web use...

CanoScan8400F.jpg

Sorry for the crap photo :D don't have most of my negs on me at the mo.

Next a crop, not resized but 'actual pixels', but also converted to jpeg...

ActualPixels.jpg

As you can see it doesn't look too great when you crop (would probably look better if I used the Unsharp mask) but still it's not bad for a flatbed. Obviously it's nowhere near as good as the results you'd get from a dedicated film scanner, but it does the job.

Thanks for posting! Its nice to see some actual results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back