Just got extension tube set for my birthday. Now what?!

momo3boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. The one thing I've been missing with my Nikon is that I don't have macro capabilities and can't afford a good lens. So I put extension tubes on my birthday list and got them! The question is, how do I use them! Lol I know how to out them on but I lose all focus and appetite control. Any suggestions or advice on how to get some clear pictures? I'm already amazed at how close I can get to things, and I know I need LOTS of light. Which I have. What else should I know?

Do you have a tripod?

What brand did you get? Some allow you to continue to auto focus.

You need something to control the appetite.

Be aware the DoF will be extremely shallow, mainly because of the close point of focus distance.

Stupid Auto correct on my phone. I can adjust the APERTURE on the lens but it doesn't register in the camera. So I think I'll be fine there. There's no electronics in the tube at all so no AF. I'm finding it hard to get close enough to get things in focus and still have enough light. Even with extra lights aimed at the subject. It came with a lens hood but honestly I can't see how it would be anything but in the way! I do have two tripods. One is a table top the other is a regular one.

Derrel said:
I lol'd....I knew exactly how that one happened!!!!

Derrel you have no idea how much I needed to lighten up a bit today and that was perfect to make me laugh! Thank you!

For macro work, many use a tripod head that has focusing rails. Focusing rails allow making very fine focusing adjustments. Way finer than focusing rings of today's AF lenses offer.

Stupid Auto correct on my phone. I can adjust the APERTURE on the lens but it doesn't register in the camera. So I think I'll be fine there. There's no electronics in the tube at all so no AF. I'm finding it hard to get close enough to get things in focus and still have enough light. Even with extra lights aimed at the subject. It came with a lens hood but honestly I can't see how it would be anything but in the way! I do have two tripods. One is a table top the other is a regular one.
Use a longer focal length lens and a combination of tubes. This will allow you to get farther from the subject, allowing more light in, yet still have a lot of magnification.

I have a spreadsheet that uses a formula I dug up somewhere on the internet that calculate magnification and focal plane to subject distance. It seems to be relatively accurate however I haven't tested it much since I don't do much macro. If you want a copy PM me your email address and I'll send it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back